Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Features needed in 2D drawings.

Features needed in 2D drawings.

2D Drawings in Fusion 360 may seem outdated but they remain a vital way of communicating manufacturing details to production engineers.  Fusion 360 cannot be taken seriously as a comprehensive design tool without the following features.

• Local sections are vital - not currently supported.
  • Chain lines between thickened ends of section lines to BS8888; currently the only way to achieve this is to select a section line which coincides with a mid point, place a centre-line and extend it manually.
  • We need a way of drawing in additional lines.
  • Line weight control
  • Line type control
  • Closer control over hatching of components; the software often trips up and accidentally hatches a neighbouring component, shaft or fastening.
  • A view cube, within the drawing environment, (as in Inventor) to orientate the views as they are placed instead of relying on the original orientation of the assembly or component in the part file.

Many thanks, Andrew.

9 Comments
whittakerdw
Collaborator

I can agree with all of these. One thing that has kept me from using the 2D Drawings for fusion is the fact that you can not change the background color. The plain and bland white background, in my opinion, doesn't look too appealing when trying to present a product or idea. The ability to change that and the line weight I think would make this work and look a lot smoother. Lets hope your idea gets through to someone.

pd700
Advocate

I also agree with the additional 2D drawing feature enhancements that are needed. 

" We need a way of drawing in additional lines "  this good idea that could be expanded to include several draft entities including arcs, splines, dotted lines and various symbols etc.  I think this was proposed in another post. 

Also, proposed was a 2D only drawing package without 3D reference model within Fusion360 if I recall correctly.

pkw6X2K4
Enthusiast

I have submitted a similar plea for more tools in 2D Drawing mode - it is , after all, the drawings that move the design into production and which production engineers look at. At present the lack of tools and differentiation of lines and measurement sizes endangers the legibility of the drawing and create confusion. There is agreement that 2D Drawing features are not yet up to standard and are being worked on.  It would be useful to know what package of up-dates is being proposed (and the time frame for launching them). Then it would possible to know if the specific concerns any individual might have are covered so that in the end all concerns are covered. 

pd700 mentions a stand alone 2D Drawing program. Whilst this might have value , it would not be a solution to the present situation in F360.

Many thanks, Peter.   

whittakerdw
Collaborator

pkw6X2K4, I agree with you. I am glad to here there are features being worked on but I would also like to know what is being worked on so I would know if I can begin preparing to use the Drawing section of Fusion again. Thanks for the response and keep our fingers crossed!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the comments made in particular the need to orientate components in a drawing independent of the model orientation. I'm wasting allot of time trying to do a work around for this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am need urgently of being able to add construction lines to allow more dimensions to be placed on complicated shaped parts. This is really letting Fusion down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more. I love what the Fusion 360 Team is doing in the 3D Modeling workspace, as well as the other workspaces within Fusion. However, the drawing environment is lacking to say the least. I originally started a project with Fusion 360. However, I had to scrap the design, and start designing in Autodesk Inventor, when I realized Fusion 360 did not have weldment callouts. As an entrepreneur, I need this functionality to produce adequate engineering drawings. To me, it just feels like Fusion 360 is an incomplete tool, because the drawing environment is lacking. Sadly, competitors like Onshape, have made significant improvements in their drawing environment, so much so, that it is preferable over Fusions. Please Fusion 360 Team, let's get it together and put more emphasis in the drawing environment. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also,

Hole callouts

Hole tables

BOM should have an option to include components of subassemblies

BOM editing

Ability to make a sheet that references only one component of a design instead of having to import the entire assembly

Better editing of title block attributes (i.e. editing should be more like an excel sheet and not require 200 clicks, making some changes like "checked by" should be global, etc)

In that order, please.

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Archiving this due to there being many items listed, instead of just one, which makes it very difficult to track and report back on. Many of these items are on our roadmap, which can be found HERE.

For the last item on the list, try using Named Views - that should give you the control you're looking for. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report