Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction Plane Parallel to Plane through point.

Construction Plane Parallel to Plane through point.

I would like to see many more options for creating construction planes. One that I find missing that I've used constantly in SolidWorks is parallel to plane at point. The plane for reference can be either a datum plane or planar surface. The usefulness of this is that you can create a sketch and use any sketch point as a reference for placing the plane, without having to have the plane be normal to the sketch. 

79 Comments
johnseybold
Contributor

Critical feature, especially for those of us doing things (like furniture design) with lots of curved parts meeting at weird angles.  It's common to need a plane at an intersection point or aligned with some geometry essentially floating at a random point in space.  Thanks!

kb9ydn
Advisor

Over 3 years later and still nothing.  Fusion continues to miss the bus on basic features.  Smiley Frustrated

C|

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yebyps

Sorry - haven't seen your answer referring to my comment.

Your construction sketch is already orthogonal to the desired plane. Thats not always the case but makes creating the cruicial line easier. So: there are worse cases. At least that's what I think.. Anyhow problem is solved for me in this specific design.

In other (more cubical) constructions I use the same solution as you provided. 🙂

And still: I don't get it that this totally basic feature is missing.

Best regards,

Nicolas.

Scoox
Collaborator
A resounding +1
Wound up asking how to do this elsewhere, then I was pointed to this old idea suggestion. This is an important omission, I hope Autodesk take care of it soon!
sergei8219
Participant
I still use fusion from time to time to do a quite example or so (for private individual use).

But because of these constrain related options I would I simply work better and faster when it come to complete geometries in Solid edge, inventor, solid works etc where these options are available. Too bad the programs I mention here I don’t have licenses for (restricted to use at work).

Recently I have had to learn ironcad and Catia for my new job, further adding to the list of programs that seem to be easier to work with than fusion

boonie96.4
Community Visitor

It's March 2018 and this is still not a feature...  This is absolutely essential and needs to be implemented soon!

jefeprototyping
Explorer

This is a basic modeling tool....we need it!

r.moss
Advocate

I absolutely agree - have just been trying to make a plane through a point - surely it's a simple option to implement?

r.moss
Advocate

For completeness, one should also have the ability to define planes:

(a) through a line and a point (not on the line)

(b) perpendicular to a line, through a point.

yebyps
Enthusiast
Totally agree with those

fabien.jonckheere
Community Visitor

Hello

According to my solidworks fellows, I do not understand why this option is missing.

I was wondering if Inventor provides it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course - Inventor does.

No one in this thread understands why it's missing and why Autodesk carries on implementing new stuff (which is always great of course) without correcting missing features like this.

Scoox
Collaborator
So if Inventor 360 existed, same pricing model as Fusion 360, would Fusion 360 still be a compelling package? That's a genuine question, I have not tried Inventor personally.
peterM5WMV
Explorer

This is a must. I can't believe it not solved by now.

yebyps
Enthusiast
Every time someone replies to this need, my heart skips a beat because I see the headline, and momentarily believe that it has been fulfilled. Then I realise it's just another justified moan, and get depressed.

peteranthonymartins
Contributor

Come on Autodesk! This is some very basic stuff! It should have been solved by now.

peteranthonymartins
Contributor

What? Still no solution? Unbelievable...

pavmed
Advisor

Hi! Good idea! Couldn't think of any reason it's still not implemented.

Referenced this on my youtube fusion 360 learning channel for more people can vote for it.

https://youtu.be/7BdaTIp9fXM 

peteranthonymartins
Contributor

Great video @pavmed! I don't understand russian, but it's easy to understand what you are refering to when you say "novo fusion itakogo instrumenta niet", so I'm puzzled why the developers haven't understood the need for such a basic requirement. 

ava.cohen
Observer

This feature needs to be added. It's an essential part of making work planes. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report