Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Work Plane Types

Additional Work Plane Types

It would be great if Fusion 360 could build a few more types of Work Planes. As a long term Inventor user, when I try to create the same geometry in Fusion 360 it can sometimes require more work, due to the omission of certain Work Planes we have had in Inventor for years.

Currently Fusion 360 has the following types of Work Planes:

Fusion 360 Work Planes.jpg

However, in Inventor we currently have the following types of Work Planes:

Inventor Work Planes.jpg

One in particular I miss in Fusion 360 is "Tangent to Surface and Parallel to Plane". Anyway, I wait to see if others agree, or might find the above list of Work Planes in Inventor, useful in Fusion 360.

6 Comments
TrippyLighting
Consultant

Tangent to plane will actually do that. that;s what you select the reference plane for.

image.png

But in general I do agree that some more options would actually be nice.

MTimmis_ADSK
Advocate

Hi @TrippyLighting thanks for that, I must have missed that one, but yes some of the other Work Plane types would be great.

eeaamodt
Participant

Why not combine all the options into one pop-out? Just choose enough references to fully define the plane and its orientation. There could be three selection fields, and you'd use between 1 and 3 of them depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

i.e. if you want an offset plane, you'd make one selection on the plane you're offsetting from. If you wanted the plane defined by a line and a point, that would be two selections needed. And if you wanted it defined by three points, or a normal to two planes and coincident with a point, you'd make three appropriate selections. A lot of expensive alternatives simplify it this way, why not Fusion, too?

MTimmis_ADSK
Advocate

Hi @eeaamodt, to be honest that is kind of how Inventor works, if you see the screenshot of Inventor on my first post, selecting Plane (at the top), gives you any of the available plane types, dependant upon selection. However, you can still drop the list down to specify a particular one.

Personally I find this operation useful as it gives all users two options for generating a plane, but for new starters the list is good to start understanding what planes you can create. Whereas the Plane option is great for more experienced users, who can pick what they want to generate the type of plane required.

Ultimately, it would be great if both packages were better aligned on this feature, allowing easier transition from one to the other.

ballsopECAM
Enthusiast

How about "Normal to Screen View" ..... It would be very beneficial to be able to look into my workpiece in a 5-Axis setup and be able to select the view I am in to make a plane for machining on that tool vector...

StephenCim-001
Advocate

how about applying 'patterns' to plane , The ablility to apply a circular pattern to a plane is handy   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report