Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a Fillet type : Two-distane-fillet

Add a Fillet type : Two-distane-fillet

Hi,

The fillet types available in Fusion360 are : Constant radius - Chord length - Variable radius

My suggestion is to have an additional type which is "Two distances" (Like in Chamfer type).

This type can be very useful and can give better shapes in some cases.

It's available in "Solidworks" but not in Fusion360 .

Thanks.

Snapshot.jpg

6 Comments
Scoox
Collaborator

I would add to the list "face fillets", as seen in Inventor.

hiicham75
Participant

Yeah, Solidworks also has face fillets.

In Fusion 360, you can use "Rule fillet" that gives you other nice possibilities.

Check out this Youtube LINK

brettclausen62
Advocate

Is it even possible to have a fillet with 2 distances?

Either, you are looking for a tool that will create a face based on an ellipse.

Or, one edge of the fillet will not be tangent to the one of the faces you select.

Brett

Scoox
Collaborator

I like this idea.

The ellipse would be one of the many curve types that would fit smoothly, for example:

1 - straight line (two distance chamfer)

2, 4, 5 - two-point spline

3 - ellipse

6 - original corner

2018-02-22-063852 2 distance fillet.png

In the above example, all curves except of course No. 1 which is just a chamfer are tangent to the straight sides. The same can be applied to non-90-degree corners—again only one of the curves is an ellipse:

2018-02-22-065052 2 Distance fillet.png

I bet one could get a decent enough approximation of an ellipse using a two-point spline.

If we use the two-point spline to define the shape of our fillet, then we need four parameters:

• First distance (70 mm in above example)
  • Second distance (40 mm in above example)
  • Tension at point 1
  • Tension at point 2

There may be some hidden pitfalls I'm not aware of, but I think this idea is worth exploring.

dentontxtwu
Explorer

A two distance fillet would be such a time saver!

Anonymous
Not applicable

i've done quite a few models in fusion 360 so far, and today decided to design a phone case for my huawei p smart just to find out that there is no 2 distances filet feature , i don't know how to make the thing that follows a contur line yet so i guess i'll have to learn that and do it.. 2 distances filet would of been so much easier...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report