Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfold 3d low polygon model to 2d pattern for laser cutting

Unfold 3d low polygon model to 2d pattern for laser cutting

There is still a need for 3d > 2d unfolding to create flat patterns. I have tried to create a low polygon model in Fusion 360, export it as .obj, import it into Mesh Mixer, and "unwrap" to create patterns. The workflow and results are a nightmare! The Mesh Mixer UI is clunky -- I would much prefer to remain within the Fusion 360 workspace where I can easily view, move, and transform objects. I realize that unfolding high-polygon objects or flexible materials such as steel have numerous issues. This is not what I am talking about. What I want is the ability to translate a low polygon model with well-defined, flat, rigid faces into a perfectly flat pattern with negligible material dimension (i.e., paper) - like a .pdf or .dxf file that contains two things only: cut lines and fold lines. I don't necessarily care about the location of the cut lines (versus fold lines), although it would be great to be able to specify my cut lines using the "crease" tool in Fusion 360.

SketchUp has a passable unfolding extension, but I would prefer to stay within the AutoCad world of products. Help!

3 Comments

This is really needed for us engineers who want to build rapid prototypes.  I currently have to create a drawing then export in PDF then import that into a vector app and then export and transfer to my laser.  Please do this feature.  More people are using fusion 360 now that the Glow Forge laser is shipping.

sprior913
Advocate

I haven't done this, but it's quite possible the new sheet metal workspace can do this for you.

kbheaton
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll have a look.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report