Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Standard Threads

Non Standard Threads

The threads contained within Fusion are quite comprehensive, however obviously can't cover all possibilites. I would like to see an option where non-standard threads can be correctly modelled from within Fusiion by selecting the thread specifications. For example I currently have a Schaublin Swiss thread which is 19.70 mm 45/5 butress thread at 1.667 mm pitch (no I'm not making this up!). Unremarkably it doesn't feature prominently in thread lists, however there are other examples where it would also be desirable to be able to modify standard threads as required.

50 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Making threads in Fusion is already pretty fantastic. I think it would be just about perfect if I could specify a thread pitch and diameter that deviates from the standards. I sometimes need to use wacky threads like 1,3/16-28. It sure would be nice to model them.
MichaelAubry
Autodesk

Hey Binary,

Have you tried using the Coil feature?  That could be used to create any custom pitch with a triangular cross section. You could also reference the edges to make a custom profile to be uses as a sweep.

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I could always model the threads manually, but it would be much more user-friendly to simply allow custom parameters in the thread feature. I'd suspect that most of the programming for this already exists, it would just need customizable parameters for major diameter and thread pitch.

yihua.mo
Alumni

Hi Binary,

There is a way to accomplish your purpose:

1. go to thread data folder--> [Fusion install path]\Fusion\Server\Fusion\Configuration\ThreadData

2. make a copy of the thread family that you want to customize, for instance: "ACMEScrewThreads.xml" copy to "MyThread.xml"

3. open the "MyThread.xml", change the "<Name>ACME Screw Threads</Name>" to "<Name>My Customize Threads</Name>"(any name is ok, just make sure it is unique)

4. define thread shape for your customize thread: add "<ThreadForm>0</ThreadForm>" under the <ThreadType>, 

0----trapezoid; 1----sharp; 5----square; 7-----withworth

if you don't add this, default shape is trapezoid

5. now you can customize anything, including the pitch/diameters...

Please note:

•  If you create a thread by your customize file, and save the f3d document, and open it on other machine, when other people try edit the thread, he will get an error message "...the current thread family has no suitble type..."
  • If you directly change a standard thread type, and create a thread save to f3d document, when other people open it on their machine, recompue or edit the thread will get back to standard shape.

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a brilliant little work-around, Michael. Thanks. On the other hand, this seems to suggest that it would be very simple for Autodesk to add the ability to customize threads straight from the thread feature dialog. From the little I know about computer programming, I would think almost all of the work is already done. Seems like this would be a quick, no-downside feature that would make 360 just a little more versatile.
yihua.mo
Alumni

We did predict some customer could want to customize thread, so we reserved this way. But we have concern that a customized thread may not be computed on another machine, so we didn't officially mention it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The location has moved in the most current version.

open /Library/Application\ Support/Autodesk/webdeploy/production/283f47cb0eca637294957ba879067aecb2440930/Libraries/Applications/Fusion/Fusion/Server/Fusion/Configuration/ThreadData/

I'm guessing that the long hex number will be different for each install

typing 

find ./ -name ACMEScrewThreads.xml

in a terminal window will find it.

gwcude
Enthusiast

Is the file a different name in a Windows Fusion 360 install.  I don't seem to be able to find the above file.

Gary

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes.

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

Hello - did you see this other idea before posting?  Unfortunately it was archived due to lack of votes, but it does have a helpful workaround.  Does it align with what you were thinking?  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/custom-thread-pitches/idi-p/5392371

Anonymous
Not applicable

G'day Brian, no I hadn't seen that, so that you very much. I will echo precisely the sentiments of the original poster, to the extent that it would be exactly what I would have said, except I generally only work in metric.

As far as the work-around, the issue in my own case is that Buttress threads aren't within the library, and I think would be difficult to bodge as they aren't symetrical. They're not uncommon so maybe that was an oversight? The additional complexity is the buttress can be facing in either direction to the thread pitch, so the angle of each thread flank is different and would need to be specified. 

I can see Autodesk's concerns about having a custom thread being unable to be modelled on another machine. I can't offer any useful input here other than to wonder if the data could be embedded somehow with the model? In this case a whole class of thread is missing so hopefully that can be addresses, although I can see it won't be as straight forward as symetrical threads.

Generally "custom" threads are the sign of poor engineering, as with thread milling/cnc lathes any pitch is possible, and with 3D printing any form too, which is all well and good until later in the game. I'm therefore somewhat loathe to encourage anything that further encourages deviation from standards, however the reality is these threads are out there and it is sometimes necessary to model them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to pitch in by adding the question what determines whether a thread is 'standard' enough in order to be included in the normal library. For example, I'm working on a bicycle design; this industry has it's own standard threads that are used in most bicycles (and then there are some strange ones that are only used in some bicycles) yet these threads are not included in Fusion. Using the workaround from the previous post is quite a pain, especially since I won't be able to share the design without referring people to this pretty complicated workaround.

I'd love to see a more extensive library, maybe with the ability to find/download/activate threads configured by other users? But do agree with OP that it would not do to allow users to make their own custom threads...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I second the idea of making the threads custom and more comprehensive. 

Adding custom threads and making the standard threads even more comprehensive will definitely help a user. I took part in the Fusion 360 student modelling project and the drawings I chose to model contained the thread diameters that weren't available in Fusion. It happened multiple times. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nono - I don't think totally opening up the threads for customisation is necessarily the answer. What little I have learnt bout threads in the past week has taught me how important it is to use standards and - as pfleming says - how bad it is to just make your own. I know however that the me of a week ago - without a clue of how threads work - would have just made a custom thread without thinking about it twice if this had been a possibility. I think that is an outcome that should be prevented.

I think the problem is not so much that custom threads cannot be made, but that it is so hard to reverse engineer existing threads. When focusing on this problem I think a more elegant solution can be found than just opening up the threads to full customisation by people that have no idea what they are doing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fusion is just a tool than can be used to create either poorly or well engineered projects; at the end of the day it is up to the user as to which is which.

I think it's fair to say that I have been around threads for, errr, "more than a week', and the fact is there are all manner of obscure threads out there. We can either bury our heads in the sand and pretend they're not there, or learn to work with them. There are already combinations of thread diameters and pitches available in the thread tool that would be considered completely non-standard. Futher, there is sometimes very good reasons to use a thread of a particular non-standard configuration, either for engineering or commercial reasons to ensure a proprietary part is used as a replacement.

I personally feel that the option to have a list of threads available as is done now is an extremely good one. However, as suggested at the top, it would be good to have many other thread forms available, including the option to specifically detail the thread profile etc as a custom setting. Ideally once that is done, and effectively any thread could be modelled by specification, one of the developpers would then go through the list of canned threads and delete all the ones not in a recognised thread table. Thus they would still be available to those who specifically need them, as they can be customem designed, but would not encourage the use of arbitrary thread dimensions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we're on the same page pfleming, I agree that having a standard list for the hobbyist part of Fusion users is a great option, which would be even greater if people with "errr, "more than a week"" of experience could create new options that - once approved - could then be accessed by other users.

Of course, having even less than a week of experience with software engineering, I have no idea how realistic this is.

I am sure that you or another expert can pitch in though!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a more common need than the Autodesk folks seem to believe.  Also, it doesn't move your customs files over with updates.

johnson2423
Enthusiast

I'm of the opinion that customization is urgent and necessary.  Using standard threads is all fine and good if you are designing to work with other people, but if you are designing to create customized parts that require coming back to the OEM (me) then you need to be able to adjust your threads to suite.  

I would like to see a button in the options tab that allows you to expand and control threads.  No need to confuse hobbiests with the gritty details of a threads min/max/pitch/profile and tolerances but if I need them then I need them.  I'm interested in using fusion 360 to start cutting threads on my lathe but I'm not going to change my designs to conform to the fusion thread 360 library.  That doesn't make sense.

Swarfmaker
Advocate

I need to acurately model threads that were used on vintage vehicles, in order to specify and make replica components. It is probably unreasonable to expect (British) legacy thread data to be incorporated in the library, but is a reasonable expectation that the ability to specify thread parameters should be available as it is in other CAD packages.

Swarf Maker

Anonymous
Not applicable

How we can create double start thread in Fusion 360??

There is no option for these kind of multiple threads.

Suppose if we use coil comment for creating thread, Can you explain how to offset the angle of thread starting???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report