Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent dynamic tolerances

Intelligent dynamic tolerances

In the classical CAD days the end product of a 3D model in cad often was a set of 2D drawings with the tolerances noted somewhere on it.

However in the age of 3D printing the 3D model itself is the end product. Right now the only way to have hole tolerances is to actually 'hardcode' them in by not model something nominal, but model it with the proper tolerance. This seems rather clunky if you ask me, what if someone 3D printed something with plastic and wanted the end product to be in steel, would he remodel the whole thing with different tolerances?

I opt for a way of assigning tolerances to holes, and where this tolerance will actually be in the 3D model and you can change easily. And if you would export the 3D model to a STL file for printing, the tolerances get included. This way you don't have to manually 'hardcode' every tolerance in.

3 Comments

Here a video where I indirectly refer to; the practice for 3D printing in this video seems to be to 'hardcode' the tolerances in terms of offset in the model.

PinRudolf
Advocate

Hi Mathijs,

I agree with your statement, 3D tolerances are a must have for modern manufacturing processes. I dare even say it is as essential for CAM as it is for 3D printing. (Though in this case mostly to prevent errors on the manufacturing side) 

I have posted a similar idea before where I suggest to add this option in the parameters menu. Though I can imagine that resulting in confusion for the quick and dirty developers.

Susan002
Participant

Totally want this for CAM.  With complex component interactions, it is way too clunky and time consuming  to have to manipulate the surfaces to create the desired fit tolerances .  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report