Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignore construction lines for laser cutter on DXF export

Ignore construction lines for laser cutter on DXF export

Yes, I know that there are multi workarounds for removing construction lines in DXF exports.  To-date, I've seen people create an extrusion and then create a second sketch using it.  I've seen exports from CAM.  I've seen people export a model as STEP and use different software to create the DXF from it.

The truth is, creating a DXF without construction lines is way harder than it should be.  I'm coming from OnShape to Fusion360, and OnShape does it WAY better.  You can simply right-click on any planar surface (sketch or not) and export the profile to DXF.  For all its hype about making it easier to build things, it is remarkably convoluted to export a simple DXF from geometry or a sketch with construction lines.

1 Comment
michael55SE4
Advocate

So far I've wasted hundreds of dollars worth of materials because either I forgot to edit out a small construction line after the fact, or following the "projected onto new sketch" workflow, forgot to add additional sketch features to the projected sketch.   I've gotten to the point where it takes a lot longer to design something because I have to avoid using construction lines for designs.  

Just today I wasted a $150 4x8 sheet of acrylic because of extraneous lines in the DXF I'd forgotten about.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report