Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escape button = cancel?

Escape button = cancel?

This is the idea: to make the escape button equal to clicking the button "cancel" with the mouse. 

Think about muscle memory - the escape button is always in the same position on the keyboard. Cancel button is inside dialog boxes that change position. 

5 Comments
Scoox
Collaborator

Isn't that precisely what Escape does? At least that's how I use it.

@Scoox yeah, probably I'm wrong. the only place I've found out escape doesn't work is MMC menu. Maybe at the time of writing this idea I was using MMC and escape didn't work. Maybe was the fact that I'm using dual monitors and the active screen was right and Fusion left so escape was triggering some action on the right one. 

We can conclude that people like muscle memory. I hope the F360 team will use that fact to improve the keyboard shortcuts. 

Dean

@Scoox to exit the sketch escape isn't working. maybe they could add some function escape=exit and save sketch or who knows what.

Scoox
Collaborator

@dean.dekovic_gideon.brothers I'm pretty sure they won't do that. Escape is only exits "small things" such as a value input box, the various Edit windows and the active tool (useful if when you accidentally click the wrong tool). It doesn't exit "big things" such as the Sketch environment, and there's a good reason for that IMO: it's very easy to hit the Escape key several times in a row if the first time you hit it causes a "mini-freeze"; you might hit Escape a second time thinking the first one didn't get registered, when in fact it did and was buffered, and then you'd end up leaving the Sketch environment when that was not the intention at all.

However, I posted an idea which you might be interested in (in which case feel free to up-vote!): Double-click timeline feature to exit sketch and edit feature directly

Another way to do this would be via custom keyboard shortcuts, as you'd be able to map 'Stop Sketch' to a key combination of your choice, possibly even the Escape key if that's what you want. Autodesk already announced they were working on custom keyboard shortcuts, but we don't have a timeline.

Also, when deleting a group in the timeline, enter key (return) to delete isn't accepted. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report