Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

I have a driven dimension in a sketch, which I would like to be able to use in a calculation for another parameter, but there is no way to reference this.  It does not show up in any way under the "Change Parameters" dialog or have any named reference that I can see.

248 Comments
richard
Contributor

This is a valuable feature.  Consider adding a to the parameter list a class described as "modeled parameter" for driven dimensions, that can then be named and referenced.

cekuhnen
Mentor

I am not sure what the problem is to list a driven dimension in the spreadsheet

in sketch the driven dimension already displays the read out

this would greatly help working alignment of patterns in sketch without the workaround with adding more helper geometry

marcprintz
Participant
@cekuhnen pls check the exchange above, my msg from Dec 3rd, 2017 leads you to where the problem lies and to a straightforward solution if a small limitation is acceptable.
Question to you: Could you, too, live with said limitation or would you need the system to iterate around to solve a complex system of potentially non-linear parameter relationships? (The core of the difficulty lies with parameters that influence themselves via circular relationships with other parameters...which isn't that straightforward a problem)
marcprintz
Participant
@cekuhnen - sorry: pls replace 2x "parameters" with "driven dimensions" in previous post's sentence in brackets.
marcprintz
Participant
@jeff_strater hope al is well - How long might it be until a slightly limited feature like discussed above could arrive? Is this under consideration at all? It would make the tool so much better with imho very limited effort. Best from Switzerland - Marc
The limited feature would be better than nothing, but there should be movement toward a constraint solver that works in the general case
jeff_strater
Community Manager

unfortunately, @marcprintz, the wheels do not move quite so quickly as we would all like.  We've definitely discussed the limited version, but we have not yet set a timeframe for this to be implemented.  Thanks for pinging us on this, sorry not to have a better answer.

Jeff

8thrule
Contributor

Add me in... referencing driven values is an essential feature.

geoff-hill
Enthusiast

Jeff, I agree the wheels are turning too SLOWLY - but I just checked this was first registered in August 2014!

Please please please when will AutoDESK as a company take this seriously - no disrespect but this obviously needs more of a company / business priorty put upon solving it or at least informing users as to what is really happening

Yours sincerely Geoff Hill

cekuhnen
Mentor

@geoff-hill @jeff_strater

To be fair it is from the end of 2015 - so around 2 years old.

BrunoRM439
Participant

I would love to see this implemented.

clintonefisher
Community Visitor

Hi, I just showed up to this thread after just now really *really* wanting a way to reference a driven dimension without having to do even more math than I'm already doing.   I see this has been a desired feature for some time now.   Makes sense because it'd be a really handy feature to have.

Please add me to the list of people who would be elated to use this feature.

Thanks!

P.S.  Fusion 360 *rocks*!

ajquick
Observer

Wow! How was this not a standard feature from the beginning!? Inventor has had this ability forever!

cekuhnen
Mentor

There are actuslly many other reference limitations where one would expect to much faster etsablish links which goes beyond the sketch engine. It is one of those UI workflow inconsistencies with tools not finished with a consistent workflow in mind

peplinski.john
Contributor

This would make F360 so much more powerful than it currently is.

rudemduer
Participant
That would be very handy !
Anonymous
Not applicable

1324.PNG

I want to change the dimension of md5xdz1 and z2 but iam not able to do it, how to do it?

GRSnyder
Collaborator

Is this Fusion 360?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the problem with implementing this for it to be ignored/shelved for 3 years? Dependency tracking?

I suspect it’s not caring and bad product management tbh.

We still use F360 because it’s in some ways better than anything else out there and almost great, but unless they have a major shake up, I’ve given up on it ever attaining greatness.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report