Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no Linux support?

Why no Linux support?

Bitterly disappointed that there appears to a total disregard of Linux based operating systems. I find it somewhat misleading the claim that Fusion 360 is cross-platform when all you're doing is using the cloud to effectively store files yet you lead people to believe that they can use your software anywhere.....

Linux has a massive user base and many the people using Linux are more tech minded than the general Microsoft user and possibly a significantly higher proportion to Apple users too. Many organisations do not use Windows PCs or Apple machines for good reason and you'll find Linux a significant common factor in many a machine shop and production line. Linux users tend to be industrious and keen to make things, just take a look around you and you'll find pretty much anything from your mobile phones, the internet you are communicating via and a huge proportion of the hardware that surrounds you is either embedded with Linux or was made using Linux platforms.

If Autodesk is genuinely serious about their software they really ought to be supporting Linux.

51 Comments
k6ls
Advocate

using Linux to type this right now.. 🙂

A Linux version would be awesome!   one less computer for me to have on my desk.

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1e10

I think it's a misconception by all software developers that Linux users are unwilling to spend any money and that's why they use Linux.  The truth is that I would gladly pay more to not be held hostage by Microsoft. The reason I like Linux is the same reason I turn off auto-correct, and stability control and every other automatic anything.  I like Linux because I am a control freak and proud of it. 

Linux doesn't try to record everything you do, it doesn't try to sell you anything and it doesn't bog your computer down with programs and processes you can't stop or remove.  I was actually considering switching to enterprise windows, because I was under the impression that you could remove some of the crap that they pack into the retail versions.  I don't think that is true anymore. 

Participant

23volx.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fusion360 on Linux this is that many people waiting for! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

All that money we safe by using free OS can become yours) 

FusionChris
Collaborator

As far as I know there will not be a Fusion version for Linux in the future just because of the fact that it would be too much work for a comparatively small group of user. It is a great thing that it is for Windows and Mac but in my opinion they should set their focus on more important things and features instead of a Linux version, just like they do actually.

Best

Chris

Participant

i think there is no problems to configure f360 for linux. It is more than possible and not difficult cause It use cross-platform frameworks.

FusionChris
Collaborator

But it is more than just the linux setup I guess. You need special customer support for Linux etc. Let's see what the future brings us 🙂

Best

Chris

Participant

i was reading a lot of discussion от the web and saw many posts about how engineers really want to use linux but they can't because they have no choice about software

Participant

Maybe autodesk takes bribe from microsoft and apple? I see no more another explanation why they don't want to do this )))

k6ls
Advocate

#7503777  is right, to a degree...

I have to use Windows to use job specific software, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, etc..
However, a lot of it is driven by .gov adoption and requirements for subcontractors to use the same software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ChristopherDerdak wrote:

But it is more than just the linux setup I guess. You need special customer support for Linux etc. Let's see what the future brings us 🙂

Autodesk wouldn't need to hire a big team for that, I guess. Linux user are used to go out and find solutions by themselfes and, as stated by the TO, are often very "tech minded".

I completely understand that porting, continuously updating and supporting Fusion 360 for yet another platform has its pricepoint. So the question is how to convince Autodesk that it would be profitable, at least in the long term. If it turns out to be, of course..

Maybe someone who has knowledge of that matter could do a market research on how many Windows/Mac users would prefer to use Linux if there was the software they need, how many people use some sort of CAD/CAM on Linux professionaly, how many of them are potentionally willing to pay for professional software, expected Linux user base growth over the next five years and whatnot...

Honestly I am not sure what the outcome of such a market research would be. I really hope it would lead to a real cross platform solution. To me, Fusion 360 is one of the very few reasons I even have to have Windows installed.

Maybe Autodesk already made this research, in this case I would appreciate them to come out and explain why they do not consider to do it at this point. The Linux community then would at least have a clear answer which could be helpful to set the focus for future development.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

It's more how many can use the other programs they need to run at the same time as well as it will cost millions to do. you pay for it they will do it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on "https://in.linkedin.com/jobs/view/linux-software-engineer-at-autodesk-544525496" it looks like they're hiring Linux developers for porting windows based applications to Linux... one can but hope!

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@Anonymous you may be right its for fortran 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to jump ship from Windows not because I'm after free stuff but because I'm getting increasingly pissed with Microsoft and Windows 10 assuming it can install random software like OneDrive or Facebook on my development machines the moment I turn my back.

It's a vicious cycle: Developers are stuck on Windows because tools aren't ported to Linux <--> Tools aren't ported to Linux because developers use Windows.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@Anonymous I use to think this was a stupid idea 

for this reasion 

what you said and the updates rapeing my internet 50 gig in one day

Anonymous
Not applicable

@malcolm.nixon

I really hope this becomes reality. Break that vicious cycle, Autodesk!

Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated here  (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/linux/idi-p/4530727) and there (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/build-fusion-for-ubuntu/idi-p/658154...) Autodesk is focusing on realising a browser version.
Actually that would work on linux as well.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see a version for Linux!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is there a Linux addon option?

Linux.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report