Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Helix

Variable Helix

A key feature that I use a lot at work and as a hobbyist is the variable helix from solidworks.  Currently, the only way that I know how to create one through fusion is to create a coil and project the helix you get from that onto a surface.  This doesn't always work if the surface isn't uniform.  The thread feature also doesn't allow for different shapes (or the process of getting custom shapes is overly difficult and requires extra tedious steps) making it difficult to have custom threads.  Simply adding a variable helix feature would allow for custom threading via the sweep feature.

19 Comments

As long as they're monkeying with that, a variable coil (/helix) along an arbitrary path would be nice

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  The status will change to accepted when work gets started.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree this would be hugely helpful and I feel like it is one of the most basic features that Fusion 360 lacks. Besides this there isn't much I feel like we cant do in some way with this software, but I have not found a managable way around this issue. It has literaly led to me abandoning a couple of projects.

erikj7
Enthusiast

Yes... this is a MUST!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom threading is an absolute must!  Please add this feature ASAP.  Had to abandon a project in 360 due to lack of this ability. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

We need the ability to sketch a helix.  

OR update the coil profile with he ability to sketch a custom profile.  

I think sketching a helix would be better.  

How are we supposed to create thread (other than V) forms on a tapered section?

Aadithya01
Advisor

I definitely need this . Cause a ex-solidworks user like me will always need the helix tools for springs designs

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Everyone needs helices. The coil tool in the current implementation is really incomplete. Add to that a faulty implementation of the Sweep tool and you cannot even create a common drill bit with a reasonable amount of effort. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is very necessary! It is basic functional.

lokiidesigns
Advocate

Custom profile instead of the 4x set options would be welcomed. However I think it would be most useful if was a line option in Sketch mode.... this would create a #d coiled line that could then be used for Sweeps as well as Lofts! Gives more options than just a coil which is essentially just a swept profile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed! I need to design my own custom threads. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please add a variable helix function. So we can use that to sweep. loft or cut exotic profiles.

For creating springs, custom threads and what not. Countless possebilities that are very diffucult to do right now.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fully agree! This is a necessity for lots of basic models. There is an app available for download to add this functionality but unfortunately it is only for Win. Please try and get a Mac version out! Thanks for all the hard work!

Macki2000
Advocate

Let us use an existing sketch with a single circle as a basic for the helix. And let us define the startpoint of the helix (degree). And let us select a sketch 2D or 3D as a  path for the center of the helix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

please give use the abyliti to draw 3D helix that are juste a single path

as that we could use this path with sweep feature

anthony.deblock
Explorer

yes I have used this type of feature in solid works for creating costume threads for quite some time and now after switching to fusion its frustrating to say the least.

BillGreathouse
Participant

It would be nice to have a feature in create that allowed us to define a helix. Imagine the coil but with a defined or chosen profile.  An example would be rifling in a barrel or, perhaps harder to do, a helical external cam.  Then again, I may just be revieling my ignorance having this be already possible. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In fusion 360 ultimate we do not have Spiral and Helix option for 2D sketch and project on to surface.

So can you guys develop some algorithm so we can draw a 2D spiral and Helix in fusion sketch workbench.

and i need support for implementing in fusion 360 next update.

Thank you guys.

Tags (4)
carl-bartlett
Contributor

Would it be possible to get a crest flat incorporated in the helix? 

This site has a great calculator that we could use to define the specifications.

http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report