Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Existing Sketch from DXF or SVG or External/Linked Sketches

Update Existing Sketch from DXF or SVG or External/Linked Sketches

I frequently use Fusion 360 to do CAM work from 2d vectors from other programs (e.g. Illustrator). It's pretty straight forward to import a DXF or SVG, extrude it, maybe make a few adjustments, then setup the CAM operations.

The issue is when the underlying designs change, often in very minor ways. There isn't any easy way to replace the contents of sketch with a file, hopefully preserving features which haven't changed at all. This means I have to select everything, delete it, reimport the DXF, then edit my extrusions and CAM operations to the new sketch lines. This gets very tedious when doing prototyping where the underlying files change many times.

I would like a simple workflow for working with changing 2d design files. A simple "replace sketch with DXF" that does it's best to only import changes lines feature would be great. Better would be the concept of an "external" sketch, which can easily be refreshed from an external file (the link to that file would be maintained).

Am I missing something already present? What tricks do other people use to make this process easier?

Thanks.

1 Comment
Urbanavitcha
Explorer

I found your post a bit late but I have the same question for the same reasons.

Can anyone chip in with any advice in 2019?

In programs like Revit and I think Solidworks, you can reload an imported file - is it possible with Fusion?

Thanks in advance,

Phill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report