Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TrackPoint to Orbit a Part?

TrackPoint to Orbit a Part?

Like many engineers and designers, I'm a big fan of the ThinkPad series of laptops.  I use one for a lot of my CAD work, and it's been working well for running Fusion 360.

But I personally don't find much of a use for the signature TrackPoint, the little pointing nub mouse option in the middle of the keyboard.  I'm a fan of the good old (newer) track-pad.

Image result for thinkpad trackpoint

Usually, when I'm working on CAM designs I have a SpaceMouse in my left hand and a normal mouse in my right; but there are times when I have to get work done without any peripherals.  So I had a probably-crazy idea: would it be possible for Fusion 360 to let me use my TrackPoint as an orbit tool while using my TrackPad as a mouse?

1 Comment
feklee
Enthusiast

In the UltraNav settings of the mouse properties, there are lots of options. Personally, I love the TrackPoint as it allows me to keep the fingers near the home row, i.e. I don’t need to move my hands, at all.

That being said, I understand that you want to use the TrackPoint only for orbiting. Nevertheless I dare to show you the settings that I use, just to give you a glimpse of what’s possible.

My UltraNav settings:

• TrackPoint / Scrolling or Magnifying Glass Function: Neither (makes the middle mouse button function as a middle mouse button)
  • TouchPad: set up to mimic a scroll wheel (can operate it with my thumb)

My Fusion preferences:

• Pan, Zoom, Orbit shortcuts: Alias
  • Default Orbit type: Constrained Orbit
  • Reverse zoom direction

For orbiting, I press shift plus middle mouse button, then move the TrackPoint. Panning works with the middle mouse button alone, and zooming requires pressing control in addition to shift. This is somewhat similar to navigating in Rhino, and it is extremely fast. No need for a SpaceMouse IMHO.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report