Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stl Exporting

Stl Exporting

Hey there,

Overall, I love using fusion 360, and I think it's great that you allow free access to it for educational and startup use. I have one request though. It would be really nice to be able to dictate what units fusion exports stls in. I typically model in inches because I live in the US and I'm a handyman. I'm more comfortable with Inches. However, whenever I go to 3d print stuff, the slicers assume the part was modeled and exported in mm. It's easy enough to scale the parts, it's just inconvenient. Autodesk Inventor does allow you to export in either units, regardless of what units you model in, so it was a little confusing to me that fusion does not, being that they share a lot of the same functionality and features. It would be really really nice to have this feature added.

Again, I really appreciate this product. Autodesk is a great company and I enjoy using your products.

Thanks,

Nick

4 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

You can just change the document unit to mm, export then change them back or if you use the Send to 3d Print Utility option on the stl dialog it will automatically scale to mm.

Mark

jason.inet
Explorer

I would love a selectable unit when saving to STL. Yes, the workaround is simple, but I forget to do it regularly, and only realize my mistake when using the STL in my slicer.

I work with inch-based CNC machines and metric 3-D printers. Posting for CNC conveniently lets me select the unit, and saving to STL should really do the same.

tony.richmond.ii
Participant

Sign me up for this as well. Either an option in the export window (like in the manufacturing post-process) or a default unit for export. I don't regularly forget to do this....I ALWAYS forget to do this, sometimes after exporting a half-dozen models. Print 3d is a great feature, but I generally want to save the stl, and/or I already have an instance of my slicer software open and this opens a second instance. Thanks.

ctr.richard
Explorer

+1 for this please. Come on guys. Inventor, solidworks, onshape, has this. I often iterate a design for printing several times a day. Imagine switching the unit preferences to mm, then back to inches to make changes, 10 times a day for each part. Imagine designing 4 parts a day. It gets annoying really fast.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report