Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell function that leaves a radius- no more adding fillets or crazy holes left!

Shell function that leaves a radius- no more adding fillets or crazy holes left!

Ok,

This concerns the behaviour of the Shell feature within Fusion 360. Its biased towards the limitations of CNC milling..

Below is a before and after of a 2mm shell application:

image.png

image.png

i would like the shell tool variant to be able to Shell a face while:

1 -"leaving" a fillet of a predetermined radius on specified edges..

2- not undercut unless permitted

3- not leave crazy voids/thin/impossible to machine holes.

I don't know about other designers/machinists, but i tend to use the shell function a lot to lighten the part.

When modelling in fusion and using shelling, i always find myself adding in fillets afterwards.

Imagine real CNC machining. What material in the form of fillets are actually left when pocket mill/ shelling say a cavity with a 10mm ball end mill?.

Many (most) times I don't machine out those R5 fillets, it takes time, tool changes, very little weight loss. Plus they help eliminate stress/fracture points/risers  - let the CAD package capability reflect that reality. My designs are manufactured in-house. Currently i have a small, manual tool change, 3 axis machine - i dont design what i cannot machine.

To achieve this, it would (or could) behave just like a 2.5, 3, 4 or 5 axis machine can.

You would have to specify a "behaviour" in options:

1- "flat end mill mode - only leaves a fillet in the Z plane?

2 - ball end mill - leaves a fillet always, on all edges (but no undercuts if limited to 3 axis behaviour?)

3 - bull nose mill - leaves a fillet too, but a different size in the Z axis.

4- weird hybrid mode for 4 axis/5 axis... enabling undercutting and other headaches.

When you would specify tool/fillet diameters:

1- it determines the diameter of fillets left

2- it prevent unachievable machining features such as those seen  above - like shelling deep into pointed corners of much less than 90 degrees etc.

If the tool sizes are specified then tool cant pass down these pointless paths.

A "crevass" or pointless shell area elimination/option:

to prevent the shelling option taking it too far, by specifying a minimum shelling area or volume. For example it could stop shelling machining between an array of holes? (the tool radius parameter could prevent this happing too).

i hope this makes some sense. I feel it would be a nice feature and reflect how we design and machine in the real world.

Bruce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report