Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real simultaneous 4th axis milling

Real simultaneous 4th axis milling

I know its been mentioned a few times here and there but is Fusion360 ever going to see a real option for simultaneous 4th axis?  I know there a few tricks that can be done to work around a cylinder and such but I'm talking real live 4th axis.  Maybe an option in the 5th axis menu to disable A or B axis?  You guys got strong 5th axis toolpaths, I can't imagine it would be that difficult to get 4th to work.  

Gets frustrating having to export a file, have to import it into 10 year old cam software to get decent toolpaths knowing that f360 is far advanced yet can't do some multi-axis contour work with a 4th axis Robot Sad

36 Comments
copypastestd
Advocate

Yes, we need this! Robot Indifferent

mlangN8XKB
Enthusiast

Yes please!!!!

If you can do 5 axis certainly you can make real simultaneous 4th work. That would be an extremely significant move forward.

kristjanpg06
Contributor

Been waiting for two years now. That will be a game changer for Fusion360 when it comes.

john.h
Advocate

YES PLEASE!

This would be especially useful with 3d adaptive. Set a maximum fan angle and let the software figure out the best way to remove material from the blank around the part within that fan angle. That would be sooooooo nice.

ProExtra
Enthusiast

Oh hell yes! Getting fairly sick of loading a model into other CAM software to do sim 4 axis work, then load it back into Fusion for other work.

mattsc
Contributor

So need this, yes!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

i need it too

johnptc314159
Collaborator

its amazing that this major function is absent but there are resources for generative design which helps machine shops not at all 🙂

cognitionfd
Explorer

I need this two years ago, I totally agree with the poster this should have been addressed already.  It seems like a huge gap in the functionality of the software.

carlhnelson
Observer

4th Axis "add-ons" are becoming common, please support.

johnptc314159
Collaborator
This is longggggggggggg overdue !!!!!!!

john
joe.walshBYV3P
Participant

I badly need this, I spent many many months learning the software only to find the 4th axis does not work properly.

Joe

johnptc314159
Collaborator
I don't know what IS wrong with the fusion team, they have plenty of
resources for generative design but no resources to Put in basic 4th axis
cam..

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET A RESPONSE FROM THE FUSION TEAM AS TO WHY THIS
HAS BEEN DONE YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

copypastestd
Advocate

@ProExtra What other software do you use for 4x milling?

joe.walshBYV3P
Participant

I am using BOBCAD, but fully trained up yet. 

That will take another few weeks.

mattsc
Contributor

It seems completely ridiculous that we can do 5th axis, but we can't do simultaneous 4th?!?!!

Seriously Fusion team? Really? REALLY!!!?

I use both Fusion and an old copy of Mastercam. My preference is Fusion, but whenever I have to do anything with the 4th axis that needs to be used as a REAL simultaneous 4th A axis, instead of just treating the 4th as "rotate to position and resume X Y and Z".

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad this thread is getting some attention.  Maybe if we can keep it up top and enough people chime in Fusion will possibly hopefully think about doing 4th axis.  Really sucks having to export files and loading them into my now 8 year old outdated Sprutcam Cam software to do cam programming for 4th axis parts.  ☹️

johnptc314159
Collaborator
Its incredible nobody from fusion will address this issue and explain why it is several years old !!

1. Is it lack of funding ( remember there seems limitless generative design funding)
2. It it a tech problem ?? if so maybe talk to the hsm people with inventor for help
3. It it some big secret that we the users cant be told 😊

In any case it is time to get it resolved !!!!!!

john
mlangN8XKB
Enthusiast

I'm happy this issue is gaining more traction. I also maintain on old version of mastercam for exactly this reason.

I really like using fusion and other than a few glaring omissions on the drawings side, the poorly executed coil function, Canned cycles for lathe and the pie in the face no true 4th I'm very happy with it.

Canned cycles for lathe is being addressed which is a huge improvement for turning. It's about time true surface simultaneous 4th axis is addressed for milling.

Hey Autodesk, I would gladly pay for this as an extension!!

ash_wareing
Contributor

I'd love to see this! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report