Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parting Line Draft

Parting Line Draft

Please implement an additional feature within the draft tool, which would apply draft from a given planar entity along the normal of a complex edge. 

It is essential in designing complex plastic parts that properly eject from a mold.

22 Comments

Seriously - it is such a PITA to manually go through and draft every surface and doubly so if some requirement changes and you need to change the drafting angle and for whatever reason you didn't make that a parameter in the beginning

Anonymous
Not applicable

We still need parting line draft please!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is feature is a must for anyone trying to design even a slightly non-geometric form to be mould or cast.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an imperative feature in my day to day work.  I would likely switch to Fusion for most of my work, if this feature was added.  Drafting from an edge is important.  Also, we need to be able to create split lines, or surface splits to do more complex features as well.

petermtaylor
Enthusiast

Would love to see this feature added. Currently having to jump between rhino and fusion, with a loss of parametric modelling along the way.

Bela_Thalmann
Advisor

I need this funktion 🙂

natemclain
Enthusiast

Please implement the parting line draft feature!

Pretty pretty please with cream and sugar on top!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am designing a plastic injection moulded casing for my new place of work. The casing has a split line which is not a flat plane, but rather is has got an offset split line.

I cant find any functionality to make the part mouldable using the offset split line.

This is essential feature for 3D cad that must be manufactured.

Any other way around this problem?

draft from split line.PNG

petermtaylor
Enthusiast

Yep, this is essentially the issue i've bumped into. Cannot draft a non-planar edge/curve. The OP wanted something slightly different i think, but it's all in service of the same goal: improved/extended drafting capabilities. 

I've tried to make a mold with a draft line that extends from the trailing and leading edges of a propeller. These edges aren't planar, so can't be drafted in fusion. Rhino can do it, but it's a hacky way to get around fusion's limited drafting functionality. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@petermtaylor, I'm still wanting the same thing as you and @Anonymous and others: a parting line draft feature. Recently, an online competitor to Fusion 360 added it to their feature set...absolutely not feature creep in plastic parts design.

I think in @Anonymous's case, you may have to manually create and replace the faces using a loft or sweep command.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I could manually apply draft to the upper part of the casing, but the lower part I ran into trouble with the loft command "profiles do not intersect" which is simply not true since I was using edges from stitched surfaces.

In SOlidworks it would be a straightforward draft function / if not then a loft or boundary surface. With Fusin 360 Im still struggling to achieve the workaround using the 360 surfacing tools 😞

Its a great 3D modeling program with such promise - just need to get up to speed on the surfacing and draft functionality.

If it helps, when we had to do this, we lofted (though that only really works if you have a simple geometry and you don’t care too much what is happening in the drafted area

F350 is a nearly-great program that just has a lot of these kinds of deficiencies, stability issues, and view navigation issues, with a team who are all lovely people but who won’t ever put the breaks on new development and take 6-9 months to go through and shore everything up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lacking this specific feature made Fusion 360 totally irrelevant for any work with molded parts. Please implement!

neillwA4FJD
Participant

This is an essential feature for mold tool design and unfortunately keeps me reluctantly returning to another cad tool until this feature is implemented. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@neillwA4FJD Thansk for your sentiment here. In retrospect, we managed to get the casing (above image reference) manufactured with our supplier in China. But because of the draft issues, I was not able to take full control of the design and had to rely on the supplier to use their in-house design team to make several CAD revisions - all of which were non-native to Fusion360. It was actually quite embarrassing being in that position as a professional product designer.

I really hope the Fusion360 team come to the party with tools to create mould relief features.

neillwA4FJD
Participant

Thanks for your response @Anonymous

I agree with your sentiment. 

While I greatly admire the innovative new features that Autodesk are producing, like generative design, it is completely devorced from that fact that currently and for the forseable future, the manufacturing industry depends largely on cast metal parts and injection moulding of thermoplastics. 

It is easy for Autodesk to indulge in futuristic visions of production where every engineer has accesss to a multi million dollar SLS printer.

At some point this may indeed be the case. 

But for now, the Autodesk Pier 9 facilities are not even remotely representative of a modern production environment.

I would encourage Autodesk to engage with production engineers and produce tools that are relevant to now.

Mould design tools may not be the sexy hot topic in the autodesk comunity. But they are the tools that will need to be developed if the fusion 360 platform is to become a cad tool for mass produced parts.  

I wonder if Autodesk ever considered why their Sanfrancisco museam is full of futuristic 3D printed concepts? It does not include a single one example of a mass produced part.

The reason for this, in my opinion, is because they have largely ignored solving the design challenges of traditional manufacturing, of injection moulding. Instead they have opted to persue a distant, futuristic vision of manufacturing, limited to additive manufacturing and cnc milling, without an injection moulded or cast part in sight. 

JulianGroeli
Enthusiast

Come on Fusion team - lack of this feature limits the geometry we can create in Fusion, and therefore limits the economic value of the software and its output. Make it happen and you will be rewarded with a lot more subscriptions. 🙂

mrender
Contributor

Presumably this has been sorted now?

«sorted» in the sense of being forgotten about by AutoDesk
mrender
Contributor

Onshape has it..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report