Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overhaul fastener and joint origin functionality and solve browser messiness!

Overhaul fastener and joint origin functionality and solve browser messiness!

Adding screw, nut, washers in fusion is just a pain. There's no clear best path.
Here's the problems as I see them:

• Fasteners mess up your browser, 'cause there's no folders. If you put them all in one "fastener" component, you get BOM problems and timeline messiness. 
  • No smart way of adding them. Import one by one? McMaster? Threaded holes? Linked? Not Linked?
  • How to constrain? Joint every one? Joint one then rigid group? No joints, align and then rigid group? What is most effiecent?

My idea really is two parts:

• Add a fastener class of joint origin. When joint origins are created you have the option to class them as fastener and add an ID. Corresponding ID:s can now be mated automagicly.
  • Overhaul the hole creation to include a fastener option. This lets you set a joint origin of the fastener class and spec its ID. You need to be able to set a joint origin on each side if it's a through hole. Screw on one side and nut on the other. 

Now, when you create your 48 holes from sketch points the will have an ID. Then you click the tools tab and there is a fastener dialog and WHAM you now have your 347-or-whatever screws and nuts jointed. On timeline event for each ID.

I see two problems right now:

• How do you solve washers? Are they jointed beforehand? If you have a screw-and-washer sub. asm/component how are they represented in the BOM?
  • Browser. You really ****ing need a folder or something. Or a fastener type of component that does not show up in the BOM

Fasteners you don't have ****ing 127pcs of can of course still be jointed the "manual" way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report