Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror function

Mirror function

Allow the ability to mirror a body offset from the original and then delete the original. This gives the ability to produce the opposite hand of the original quickly and efficiently.

7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Voted for. 

But (no I haven't tried this). 

Can you not mirror on a offset plane and then just turn the original off? 

gordonclamp
Advocate
Hi

No, when you turn the original off (delete) it removes both images.

Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that spiked my curiosity. 

Im going to try this when I get home. 

So, even if you turn the new body into a componant and break the link, it still deletes both? 

Madness if that's the case! 

gordonclamp
Advocate
It does work if you turn it into a component but I think it still retains the deleted information.
Mirroring around an offset plain and then deleting the original body is simpler and feels a natural way of doing it.

Sent from my iPad
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the issue is the. It needs to be turned into a componant. 

If you don't mind me asking. Why delete the original? If you turn the componants light bulb off its not visible. Then if you make changes to the original the mirror should update shouldn't it? 

That way you don't have to make the change twice. 

Pat least that's how I understand it working! Knowing how fusion works it may not be the case. 

I still want to try this when I get home. Very interesting this. 

I got a project in line that would require this exact issue to work. 

gordonclamp
Advocate
You are correct, you could just switch it off but I like to be tidy, so would want to delete it, I need the opposite hand item to be a part in its own right.
On a few parts where the "as drawn" and "opposite hand" parts are close together, for convenience I have mirrored them at the required offset and retained them as a pair, but this is not good practice.

Perhaps this is my upbringing of working originally on a drawing board with a pencil many years ago.

I am modelling a design concept that I hope will be taken up by a local company, if they take on the project then they will have to import it into Solid Works so hopefully all will be smoothed out then.

Let me know how you get on.

Gordon
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Instead of selecting "delete" from the browser, select "remove". This will get rid of the mirrored or original body. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 12.52.24 PM copy.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report