Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightweight Mode - PCB Designs are 2 Heavy

Lightweight Mode - PCB Designs are 2 Heavy

Here is a screencast: http://autode.sk/2e54pCM

With the Eagle Software Acquisition, we should start thinking towards lightweight assemblies in Fusion.  

We need something to help us move and mate super large sub assemblies.   Right now the work around is to design the rest of the product in the PCB assembly where we have some 1200 components.   Moving components lock up.  We have tried rigid groups, selection sets, and hiding components.   Nothing seems to help.    Can we make it so if a subassembly that is going into another assembly gets put in a lightweight mode until we can move it around and mate it?  After it gets grounded, we can leave the lightweight mode.   

10101_PCB MOTHERBOARD .png

7 Comments
CruftMeister
Advocate

Thanks for making the suggestion, even a small board (e.g. Raspberry Pi) will bring Fusion to its knees in an assembly

anewenergy
Advocate

Create a new component called what ever.  PCB board.  Then drag all the PCB components into that sub assembly.  When you turn it off, it is not regenerated.  Make sure you ground it and make it all a selection set.  Select all the electrical components in the new assembly and make it a rigid group.   Yah, that should work.  P

CruftMeister
Advocate

Hey Pat,

Thanks for responding.  I attempted to follow your steps, but must have mis-interpreted.  I have a STEP import of a BeagleBone PCBA.  I want to import that into a file with a handful of components that are joined into an assembly.  Just importing the PCBA file into the assy causes Fusion to lock up as soon  as I try to position the file.  I also tried unlinking it, but got same result.

For what you suggested, I created a new file (PCB) and imported the BB PCBA file.  I then grounded the BB and created a selection set of all compts. I saved that then tried inserting the new sub (PCB) into my assembly, but got the same result.

I took a screenshot of the PCB file with the BB PCBA sub expanded - see attached - note this all works fine, until I import into my other assembly and then  it grinds to a halt.

Where did I go wrong?  Thanks - Art

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.02.51 PM.png

anewenergy
Advocate
OK, yes import into a new PCB assembly. Now create a part lets call it
*lightweightassembly*. Next drag all the electrical components into that
new part creating a sub assembly. Create a selection set, then turn the
lightbulb off. Now everything can be turned on and off. So in the menu
you can leave the PCB on so you can do your mechanicals, wiring, etc. But
now you can toggle all the components on and off with the light bulb that
is next to the new assembly called *lightweightassembly*
CruftMeister
Advocate

Hi Pat,

Ah, OK, missed the "lightbulb" step (Doh!) it makes sense if there is no compute for hidden objects.  Thanks for the workaround!

Art

anewenergy
Advocate
Good luck Art, Call any time 719.684.3155 Pat
CruftMeister
Advocate
Thanks Pat!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report