Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knurling Tool and Drawing Integration

Knurling Tool and Drawing Integration

It would be great to have the ability to quickly create knurling on a component.  I have seen multiple posts on knurling in the past and they each had different aspects that I think could be packaged in to one tool.

@Anonymous mentioned modeled knurls for 3D printing here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/knurling/idi-p/5967765

and @Anonymous mentioned the drawing side of knurling here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/add-knurling-as-a-surface-for-2d-drawings/idi-p/8014387

I would propose a tool that would work similar to how threading works now.  Select a cylindrical surface, select type of knurl - diamond, straight, etc, and set parameters.  For the parameters, it would be great to be able to change the angle of a diamond knurl from say, 60 degrees to 90 degrees.  Lines per inch (or whatever metric equivalent is used) could be a parameter or depth/width of knurl "teeth".  Option for a "raised" knurl (diameter of cylindrical face is the "minor" knurl diameter) or ?standard? knurl (diameter of the cylindrical face is the max diameter of the knurl).  Then, like the threading allows threads to be modeled or cosmetic, a toggle option of modeled versus cosmetic knurls would be great.  For 3D printing as @Anonymous mentioned, modeled knurls would be able to printed.  For rendering, modeled knurls would be really neat.  Modeled knurls don't always work however, while fine in smaller assemblies of components, dozens or hundreds of components with knurls will get waaaay to taxing.  That is when cosmetic knurls come in to play.

On the drawing side of things, in the 2D environment, it would be nice to have the option to show knurl features as modeled or cosmetic. (Maybe in options?)  But, a tool to call out the dimensions or knurl instructions like @Anonymous mentioned would be awesome.  Personally, I would like to have them be modeled on small assemblies and when I dimension a drawing, I would like a simplified cosmetic cross-hatch or line pattern to show, but still be able to dimension the diameter the knurling is on.  That way, I can have the diameter that needs to be machined AND the knurling shown on the same sheet in a simple manner.

This tool would be really useful to replace a current workflow that is a bit of a hassle for a feature that is this prevalent.  The option for modeled versus cosmetic I think tackles one of the main problems with knurling as you don't need modeled knurls to machine (there are pre-made tools that just get pressed into the workpiece).  But for other reasons, modeled knurls DO have benefits.

A simple to use tool like this to quickly create a multitude of different types of such a common feature of many parts, in my mind, sounds exactly like something that Fusion 360 could be known for.  And if you throw in a 2D dimensioning tool to easily highlight the specs of a knurl, you have a really neat feature that isn't available in other CAD packages that I've ever used.  Just adds to the game-changing and trend-setting nature of Fusion 360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report