Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing SVGs: Do not "reset" placement parameters during import

Importing SVGs: Do not "reset" placement parameters during import

Hi,

I find it quite hard to accurately place a SVG in my design that I designed externaly and to determine values for reuse, because the placement paramters get resetted / normalized as soon as I edit another placement parameter. It would make much more sense if the paramters would stay "edited" until the placement dialog is closed.

For example: When I scale an SVG the "Scale Plane XZ" value gets changed. I need this value to evaluate my scaling decision, but sometimes the exact factor is unknown due to unit-incompabilities of external tools. So I have to move the SVG into position to see if it fits, but then I loose my scaling factor. This is especially annoying if I want to import several SVGs from the same external tool. To get the final scaling factor (or position, rotation offset) for reuse, it would make much more sense if the values would be preserved until the placement dialog gets closed. It would also make it possible to undo wrong placing decisions, which is impossible now. If I want to undo positioning now, I have to cancel the whole procedure and restart the import process, which makes no sense.

With the May 7, 2016 update you announced rotation and scaling of SVGs inside the view, which is great. To visualize my problem I want to share your animated gif of the new feature page, where the paramter reset is very good visible:

4 Comments

One thing I'd add is that if you're **** and actually care about precision, placing something as you show there is woefully inadequate.

There should be a way to fit and orient SVGs to a bounding box and to center / align them properly to machine precision without having to do it as a hand job

MartinMajewski
Advocate

But as long as there is no better way of importing external SVGs retaining all translation, orientation and scaling values would help a lot.

It would also help if SVG placement would be handled as a non-destructive history step, so one could return to all the settings at any time.

Yeah for sure. Just really don't want AD to get the feeling that they're anywhere near done with SVG import even when they've done that 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Often, I want to import the SVG with an exact height (e.g. import a logo 10mm high, or 20mm wide), but there is no way to specify this exactly, having to 'tweak' the SVG using the scale.

Can the SVG import allow for an absolute height/width setting?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report