Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 observations and ideas

Fusion 360 observations and ideas

FUSION 360

1. better stitching, or easier way, of imported surface bodies into solids bodies.

2. Sheetmetal tools will be nice to have.

3. Unwrapping solids and surfaces, for laser cutting / water jet cutting.

4. Need to be able to offset surfaces from imported geometry that has been stitched into a solids body, not offset every surface on an imported body that has been stitched into a solids body.

5. Fill holes in imported surface while maintaining border of that surface.

6. Deleting surfaces from unstitched solid should not result in return to solid body, just surfaces erased. The idea is to eliminate unused/unneeded surfaces to reduce browser tree interaction.

6 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

You should have one suggestion per request I made the same mistake and the idea will just be archived.

Some of your requests are possible now I think.

Number 4. There's offset surface in the patch workspace. You can use this with an offset of zero if you want to make a copy of a face as well.

Clipboard02.png

5. Again in the patch workspace you can use extend to close\remove holes.

Clipboard3.png

6 in the patch workspace select a face and delete.

Clipboard4.png

Clipboard5.png

Mark

tkuechle
Enthusiast
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information about the Idea Station limitations.

Well, I tired to do some of those suggestions, but this seems to relate to IMPORTED SURFACES, not native surfaces.
At least, this was my experience.

Tem

Temujin Kuechle
Industrial Designer
B.S.I.D.

tem@tkindustrialdesign.com
www.tkindustrialdesign.com
HughesTooling
Consultant

Can you start a thread in the design forum and attach some of the files you can't modify. I've used quite a few stp files and not had any problems modifying them. The part in the examples I gave above was an imported stp file.

Mark

Edit how did you import the parts, did you upload through the data panel of did you use New Design From File.

tkuechle
Enthusiast
Hi,

I imported a STEP file from Rhino.
I tried to stitch it, which required me to go back to Rhino and change the tolerance value to 0.0001mm.
This required manually rebuilding several shared surface edges, and finally using the “JOIN 2 Naked Edges” command to help to create a stitched solid BODY part within Fusion360.

After that I was able import the surface bodies and stitch them together into a solid body to make use of some solid modeling operations, however this didn’t work out at first.

When I tried to “offset" a single surface (not a native patch) from the newly created solid, the solid BODY would revert to being just a bunch of surface bodies.

What I found, a work around, was to offset a surface that was needed before trying to create a SOLID BODY of the part, then proceeding with stitching the surfaces together into a solid Body part.
I was able to use the previously offset surface body to cut away the tops of letters so that their heights consistently followed the organic surface that they protruded from.
This took about a 1/2 hour to figure out. I relied on my many years of experience going back and forth between Rhino, Pro-e, Solidworks and even Alias Studio (college days).

Tem

Temujin Kuechle
Industrial Designer
B.S.I.D.

tem@tkindustrialdesign.com
www.tkindustrialdesign.com
keqingsong
Community Manager
Hey there! Thanks so much for submitting your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get a lot of votes from the community, and now is 2 years old. We're changing its status to archived. If you still feel strongly about this idea, you can resubmit it. Check out some idea submission best practices here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-faq/ideas/m-p/5384681#M44
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report