Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fusion 360 iPad Pro

Full Fusion 360 iPad Pro

Fusion 360 on Mac OS X is great, its easily the best 3D design software I've ever used. However, I feel very very disconnected when selecting, rotating and Zooming in my designs. This software is begging for Multi-Touch! Now comes the iPad Pro, a thing of beauty, built for creativity. Imagine Full Fusion 360 running on an iPad Pro... a match made in perfect harmony. Can you make this happen Autodesk!?

130 Comments
rpagewood
Advocate

Autodesk has already produced a number of apps for the ipad, i.e. 123d apps etc.

Why don't they put F360 out in an ipad/tablet version that could be used with a stylus?? That would be a game changer IMHO.

Is it even possible?

rpagewood
Advocate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it most of the grunt work is done in the cloud? So given this I would expect to be able to do most things on an ipad. Pehaps the only thing that would be different would b the UI so that more os a premium is put on the screen real estate. An example woul be no need for the tools to be in 2 diffenet places as they are on the desktop version (right click and tool bar).

garin
Alumni

Our goal is to use whatever technology makes a given task better. In Fusion 360 we do some things local on your computer and we do some things in the Cloud.

Due to Internet latency we do all model computes local on the system. That means when you edit a fillet or extrusion by dragging it, it is being solved on your computer. We have the technology to solve it in the cloud but the latency makes it a bit annoying as it isn't a 1:1 drag/solve like you get local. I am sure over time this will get better as the Internet gets faster but today we do this local.

We have an app available for IOS and Android that lets you view, comment and a number of other things allowing you to work with a team and view/share progress.

All that said I would like to hear your ideas on how you would use a tablet to work with Fusion. What kinds of things would you like to do. Would you expect to be able to edit designs? Would you expect full capability? What would be the purpose (collaboration, concept, detail engineering??)

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

rpagewood
Advocate

FIrst and foremost portability is the number 1 advantage. Having the ability to take work with you where ever you go is an advantage. To me tablets are slowly but surely replacing laptops for many things, so I don't see why they couldn't be used for CAD as well.

Using F360 on a tablet I would expect to be able to create and edit models with all the functionality. I probaby wouldn't expect to be able to run simulations, toolpaths, or detailed renderings. 

ilai_rotbaein
Autodesk

Hi Garin,

I recommend checking out the Autodesk 360 application, it focuses on viewing and collaboration and less on creating or editing but I think it might be useful for your purposes. The app is taking its first steps and additional features will be added soon. Your feedback would be much appreciated..

smeggy
Advocate

Realistically I can't see how anything much could be acomplished on an ipad type tablet as the cpu and RAM levels are pretty minimal for any type of CAD work. Some lighter-weight aspects could work, others would crush a tablet. They simply do not have the horsepower to work complex 3d CAD. The super hi res screens are also a hindrance to speed, it's a lot of pixels to push.

I get around this by remoting my pc to my tablet. That way there are far fewer compromises. A little lag, but otherwise, full pc capabilities. There are some very good reasons why 'apps' are so basic and simplistic. They have to be or everyone would complain about how slow everything works.

Tablets are great for consumption, less so for creation, especially heavy graphics work.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this. In all the time I've had tablets I've looked in vain for anything even remotely resembling a decent 3d program, even polymesh stuff like the Amiga had in the early '90s. They don't exist. So I stopped buying apps and let the concept go.

Remoting is the only useful way I've found of using an Ipad for creating anything complex.

rpagewood
Advocate

Isn't this how F360 works? Remote accessing a server in the cloud to do all the grunt work through a browser interface?

I thought the whole idea behind F360 was to be able to run 3d cad on hardware isn't up to the usual cad spec. As I understand it even graphics processors can be hosted in the cloud these days.i.e. Nvidia Grid.

smeggy
Advocate

No, the framework is on the servers, the actual work is done on the local machine. You can have remote rendering but all the modeling work and local renders are done on your own machine. Your machine has to meet certain specs to run Fusion. It uses all my CPU and all my RAM in operation.

From Adesk:

• Apple® Mac OS® X 10.7 or later
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 or later
  • CPU: 64-bit processor (32-bit not supported)
  • Memory: 3GB RAM (4GB recommended)
  • An internet connection
  • Hard drive space of approximately 300mb, for the Fusion 360 client.

Almost the same specs for Inventor LT.

I assume the Fusion Client is the actual program itself.

kinsleymark
Enthusiast

I've just begun playing around with the beta of Onshape. One aspect that is very tempting about their approach is the fact that I have full access to a full CAD package from my iPad. Even though it's finger-based, the controls are very intuitive and precise. For example - holding down on the screen brings up a type of offset "mouse pointer" that I can move to precisely selct, draw, move, extrude, or other functions. It's very difficult to explain how intuitive and easy it feels -- but I suggest that the Fusion360 team spend some time playing around with it.

There is something very powerfull about being able to pull out a lightweight iPad and immedietely begin working on a design in a FULL version of CAD (not just a viewer or a paired-down basic version).

Tags (2)

This would be extremely cool and I've wanted something similar for a long time but what worries me about it is that it'd be a big distraction from the core product and they seem to need every resource they have on that to get it to production quality.

kinsleymark
Enthusiast

I posted a duplicate IdeaStation request with this topic - I should have done a search first! My comments on this are: 

I've just begun playing around with the beta of Onshape which includes full access to a complete CAD package from my iPad. Even though it's finger-based, the controls are very intuitive and precise. For example - holding down on the screen brings up a type of offset "mouse pointer / crosshair" that I can move to precisely select, draw, move, extrude, or other functions. It's very difficult to explain how intuitive and easy it feels -- but I suggest that the Fusion360 team spend some time playing around with it.

There is something very powerfull about being able to pull out a lightweight iPad and immedietely begin working on a design in a FULL version of CAD (not just a viewer or a paired-down basic version).

I completely understand that Onshape's approach to CAD is browser-based, which is different than the fusion360 approach  -- but I think their UI and solution to dealing with CAD on a finger-based system is something to emulate and get inspiration from.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Archived due to lack of votes.

brandon.mullin
Advocate

Autodesk, you need to review this request for a Full version of Fusion 360 on iPad. The new iPad Pro is built for such things. Fusion 360 has the most to gain with Multi-Touch, Fusion already feels like it is just begging to be touched and not used with a pointer of a trackpad or mouse!

Yeah this I'm sure will be a huge PITA but I was thinking the same when they were introducing it today.

anonperson
Advocate

It'll need better support for Pen input devices to start with... 😉

brandon.mullin
Advocate
Apple Pencil, Adonit Jot support would be mind blowing additions to Fusion 360 produtivity👍👍
TrippyLighting
Consultant

Fusion 360 was the first thing that came to my mind when watching the Apple event.

The iPad pro and Fusion 360 would make a great match.

I would actually say the crosspollination between the iOS world and the "normal" mac computers could be very helpful. If I am not mistaken iOS exclusively uses Metal and not Open GL which should be very beneficial for Fusion 360. Apples Open GL has never been great.

With less hardware variability perhaps we also have less crashes. That would really be sweet 😉

brandon.mullin
Advocate
As soon as I heard Phil Schiller say they had three software developers to announce new products for iPad Pro I thought for sure Autodesk with a real workable Full Version of Fusion 360 would be one of them. There are too many toy 3D Design App's already, Fusion 360 having access to Metal over OpenGL would be the first real solid design software for iOS.
I'll say this - if AD does build that and needs an insufferable pain in the as s to test it, that'd be worth buying an iPad Pro to me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report