Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First impressions

First impressions

I submitted a project to design for autodesk and here are my first impressions of using Fusion 360.  Sorry if this list isn't clear or well curated.

-Joints:
-    need to click through too many dialog boxes
-        all redundant
-    parts dance around when you add a joint, lose all sense of orientation
-    you can't make joints based on origin stuff (axis, planes)
-    joints are often made in batches, but there is no help for this.
-    you can't make joints between things that are copied from other parts (they are copied as bodies for some parts and others are copied as components, that should be changed)
-Moving a part with the right click moves other things all over the place
-no way to rotate parts without using move tool, like shift click or somethig
-cannot delete parts that were once used in assembly but are used no more.
-saving has too many dialog boxes
-cutting through all in the negative direction doesn't work
-Delete then enter doesn't move you throught the darn box
-no back button on browser (backspace works though, thanks)
-joints don't work based on geometry (I have 2 cylinders, I want to make them concentric, or I want a plane and a cylinder to be concentric)
-    there should be a better way to move things to the correct location
-cannot ground bodies
-joints stay visible during render, should have a more visible way to show or hide all annotations
-when I make a new drawing, I should be able to browse for the part file it is a drawing of
-it seems to have trouble when I start a new drawing after I place the first view
-make it easier to remove the junk from the bottom, hobbyists have no use for that.
-annotation dimensions don't snap to corners cause by the projection (for example, where two parts overlap.  If I want to show where on a shaft a shaft collar is, its hard.)
-input (paning) is a bit laggy on complicated parts (like, 8 eye bolts is complex enough)
-would be nice to do feet and inches by default for long things
-If I've saved a render somewhere, its probably close to where I'm saving my drawing PDFs.  App data probably not close.
-When you paste, the two parts are linked (changes to one affect the other), might be nice to have an easy way to unlink them (for example, I want several lengths of 1/2" pipe, so I get stock from McMaster and then copy it and cut each piece to length)
-ctrl-c and ctrl-v are really picky on when they want to work, frequently they just refuse
-After you hit play on the timeline, it seems you can't abort
-mirror doesn't feel like it wants to mirror more than one object
-mirroring a part can sometimes duplicate other objects that aren't selected.  This seems to happen on parts that have already been mirrored or copied.
-it would be nice if hovering over a part highlighted in the tree and vice versa
-deleting an object shouldn't create new objects or delete remote objects ever, if those parts are related, they should somehow be made unrelated.
-I've been trying to make a box out of pipe using straight sections and corner joints (part files from mcmaster)
-    Its really hard to copy or mirror parts.  Some parts can't be copied from the 3D space but can be copied from the tree.  The program slows down quite a bit after just making a simple box.  Some parts don't want to be jointed together.
-When rotating a part, holding ctrl normally makes the angle snap coarser, such as making it snap to the nearest 45
-changing the folder (component) something is in ungrounds it
-You manage to not crash after waking my computer up from hibernation, good job, most 3D things tend to crash.
-When making a joint, selectin one object does not always automatically change the mode to selecting the next object.
-The preview of a joint sometimes moves a fixed object, when it would be a better preview (look more like the final product) if it always moved the unfixed object if one object is fixed by other joints.
-My sketch featuers never turn black, but they can't be moved around, so I can't tell if they are fully constrained or not.
-When a constraint fails to be added because the software thinks its over constraining, it would be nice to see what it conflicts with.
-Isolate doesn't hide relations
-Tangent arcs are frequently supposed to be tangent on both ends, not just the first one.  Maybe there could be some kind of snap where if ou hover for a while on the second point it makes it tangent.
-If I'm in a sketch, it should be easier to transition to extruding it(like add an extrude button or if I say create extrude while sketching, have the active sketch already selected)
-When doing horizantal/ vertical, something may be nearly vertical when I want it to be horizantal, and the easiest way to cause that to happen may be declaring that it should be horizantal.  Horizantal and vertical should not be the same.
-When you edit a sketch, it frequently moves the camera such that little to none of the sketch is actually visible.  It should orient so that all of the sketch is visible.
-it would be nice if planar joints could have a distance
-The McMaster window is pretty small\
-sometimes, when editing an old sketch, it is invisible until it is isolated
-the show/hide lightbulb on sketches doesn't reflect whether they are actuallyshown or hidden.
-When you unisolate a sketch, it scrolls the timeline to the beggining when I usually want to make changes near the end.
-Specifying angles in text doesn't automatically wrap around 0 or 360, which may be an issue if its a result of a calculation.  You also can't freely rotate the thingy with the mouse if you want to eyeball it.

2 Comments
TMC.Engineering
Collaborator

This is all good feedback but I might sugest using a different tact so everyone gets the most out of it.

You have a better chance of getting changes and solutions if you breake posts down into single ideas or questions.  

The Idea station meant for feature requests and the design, validate & document is a better place for general comments and exchagning ideas and solving problems that may be fixed by a change in workflow or tatics.

thanks for commenting

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

@Anonymous,

What @TMC.Engineering stated is correct.  We appreciate the feedback, but use voting on ideas to help evaluate them.  When a IdeaStation post has more than one idea we do not know what people are voting for.  Please divide this idea up in to individual posts.

Thank you,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report