Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to quads

Export to quads

Ability to generate quad topology for export would be a game changer compared to triangles we have at the moment. 

36 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

And add the OBJ export to that - an often requested export format for render sculpting workflows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you need a solution now, I've heard a lot of people recommend "Moment of Inspiration" ($295 US). It's a NURBS modeler that can import STEP files from Fusion 360 and do quite a good job of translating into ngon/quad/tri meshes in .obj, .fbx, .lwo etc.

cekuhnen
Mentor

It is not doing quite a good job - it is best in class when it comes to NURBS 2 NGON meshing 😉

But exporting as OBJ with quads is a pretty common and basic feature specifically useful when working with T-Splines.

Silly this is not taken care off yet.

Jonathan_Kolodner
Enthusiast

I'm with cekuhnen, this would be very helpful and shouldn't be hard to do—for an added bonus there could be a "subdivision level" option when exporting, so you can control how closely the resulting quad-mesh resembles the smoothed display in Fusion, or how much it resembles the cage (as a chunky low-poly mesh). Sometimes it's helpful to have the low-poly version only, sometimes you want to "bake" the subdivision in.

cekuhnen
Mentor

the raw low poly cage from TS will be sufficient for any catmul clark or Pixar opensubdiv modeler.

Jonathan_Kolodner
Enthusiast
I absolutely agree—I'm saying that for the sake of folks who *don't *have
one of those handy, being able to export at an arbitrary subdivision level
without having to subdivide the source model is helpful—for those times
when you want to send someone a quads mesh, but you don't really want them
to make base level form changes easily.
cekuhnen
Mentor

I see - I had even game designers ask me about Fusion to do some asset work but once I told them that Fusion is stupidly only able to export STL they turned away.

Ah well might have to wait 1.5 years for OBJ export from TS we will get high end physics engine and such sooner lol what a crazy way to develop a product ... Sorry AD but it is true.

KirillChepizhko
Advocate

Subdiv levels would be helpful as well. This thread isnt getting as much attention as it should 🙂

cekuhnen
Mentor

I guess it is save to assume either A this is not a high priority for AD or B they dont even want to this so users have to keep the data in Fusion.

TS is great but if you start looking at other options like Clayoo in Rhino or the new mesh to nurbs tool in SolidThinking you will see that those tools are much faster in modeling.

Thus personally I cannot get why AD does not simply realized at the beginning that a raw poly cage obj export would not only help render artists but also work around the shortcommings of TS in external applications while you could/will bring back the modifierd data into Fusion TS afterwards anyway.

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Jonathan_Kolodner
Enthusiast

Glad to see this is now gathering support 🙂 I'm happy to support it further!

KirillChepizhko
Advocate

Let us know if you need any explanations

cekuhnen
Mentor

yeah it is a pretty a no brainer.

OBJ quad export from TS sculpt models will help you to utilize 3rd app modeling tools to further improve TS models

and copy them back into TS Fusion later back. Nice work combination.

OBJ Quad/NGON export best with UV mapping is great for rendering (not a big fan of Keyshot because of its limitation).

STL models are well not usable for that purpose.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i was searching with a thought like "cmooon there should be some way to export with quads. it cant be true" and find this post. and i still think that we cant export quad obj must be a joke with software like that. can't believe it lol..

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be a big deal for our company. But it would need to be high quality.

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

KirillChepizhko
Advocate

Future consideration ?  Sad 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

me too i would really like an obj export option. I love the modelling in fusion, but i am not using it at all because i don't do engineering pieces, but 3d art and visual effects. I was looking for a cheap modeling program, and at 25$/month or free it's a very good price, but i CAN'T use what i have modeled after in the other programs that i use like elements 3D in after effects, photoshop or blender.

The "best" solution i have find is to export to stl then open it in strata 3D (which is free) then export it to obj, but the faces are not so good and the object is one, with one texture. SO for complex objects it is useless...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am seeing a wave of game-devs, more and more starting to use Fusion 360. you got a potentially enormous market here. And having a good exporter, obj quad/n-gons whatnot would open this up for that market alot more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope this picks up some steam, the modeling tools in Fusion are really nice but we don't use it all the time because poly modeling gives us better topology.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report