Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engrave Single Line fonts

Engrave Single Line fonts

Like the title, it would be great to be able to engrave single line fonts. I see it working with the new engrave statergy or trace statergy.

32 Comments
randyT9V9C
Collaborator

A few months ago Justin sent me a few modified fonts in an attempt to get to the bottom of the single font issue without success. In the end it became clear the fix would need to come from Autodesk. Maybe the previous IdeaStation single line font requests should be grouped in order to get someone's attention. 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do my best to create single line fonts that will work in most software platforms, with some limitations though. I can readily assist Autodesk with making a relatively simple software change so that Fusion 360 (and possibly other AutoDesk software) can have single line fonts that will look & behave as they should.

daniel_lyall
Mentor
randyT9V9C
Collaborator

@daniel_lyall, engrave (v-carve) is not the same thing. Milled single line fonts don't have the v-tails at the ends. I converted my fanuc macro-b font to g-code which generates to this:

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.29.12 AM.png

kmcgheeCMFPG
Advocate

@daniel_lyall I agree with @randyT9V9C this is not what I am talking about, not V-carve or engraving, just a font that is single stroke so that I can plunge and endmill in and mill out a slot where each line is. I have many projects that use this simple feature that other CAD/CAM has. The V-Tails randy mentions happens if you use Dotum font for single line as well and is useless with flat endmills.

This is an example of a project I have done with my students for years, this is not me but gave me the idea. without single stroke fonts I need to import them, I was able to do it easily with Rhino and Rhino Cam but since switching to Fusion this is not possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvYO2_84oOU

randyT9V9C
Collaborator

@kmcgheeCMFPG, neat brass inlay method. I'll have to try that sometime.

Here is the text g-code tool I use with my students to do quick stick font engraving and milling. Great for quick stuff like names and serial numbers. Last semester I picked up a bunch of $1 aluminum flashlights at Ace and had the students engrave them with their names. It proved to be a very simple first introduction to loading and running g-code.

http://home.lewiscounty.com/~forhire/text2gcode.php

rohit.bapat
Autodesk

Hello All,

I have an update regarding Single Line Fonts/ Stroke Fonts in latest Fusion 360. Several Single Line Fonts (shx) have been added to the text command. 

Single Line Fonts Fusion 360.png

Could you please give it a try and let us know if it is helpful?

Thank you,

Best Regards

Rohit Bapat

kmcgheeCMFPG
Advocate

Already been using it, this is exactly what I wanted!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering when they'd get the .SHX fonts running in Fusion. I remember using those in AutoCAD waaaay back in the day. Not sure if they have improved much to be more than very basic fonts with average spacing between letters or not. The benefit of being able to render .ttf fonts is that True Type fonts have lots of 'truetype features' embedded in the fonts that adjust letter to letter spacing (kerning) for better looking text, expanded language capabilities, etc. If all your engraving is serial #'s then the SHX fonts should do the trick though.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Good news! Single line fonts have been implemented in the April 17 Update! https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/april-17-2018-product-update-whats-new/

If you have more feedback on additional font styles, please submit a new idea so we can track / community can vote on it appropriately.

HughesTooling
Consultant

I've added an idea Here to use the assets folder in the data panel to store custom fonts. You can add them manually now but the folder moves after every update like custom threads.

Thanks Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Downloaded the Stick Fonts that Mark put in the comments and it is working great.

http://www.mrrace.com/CamBam_Fonts/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report