Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil Triangular Profile

Coil Triangular Profile

The coil tool today has a triangular profile, but that is an equilateral triangle. Because of this if the coil is drawn straight up the side of the triangle is at 60 deg from the vertical. For those of us using 3D printers to make the models reality this is a pain because overhangs at this angle (60 deg) would need supports in most of the cases.

I understand it is complicated to modify the coil tool to allow custom profiles, but would it be simple enough to add one more shape to the list (I think now we have square, circle and equilateral triangle) that is an isosceles triangle with 45 deg angles on the side (everything else can stay the same).

I know this does not solve most of the problems people mention on these threads, but it seems to me like it might be a (relatively) simple thing to add to make life a lot easier for people creating models for printing.

Note: Right now, I'm creating a coil with a triangle shape and use the path created by the tip of the triangle to align my custom shape and then sweep it along the coil. But this is hard work: I need to calculate how big the coil is, then create it as a separate body that I can later hide.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report