Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil Improvement

Coil Improvement

Hi.  So I need to create a coil that curves around a circle of a given diameter.  At the moment there is no such feature to the coil manipulators, at least that I can find.  I wonder if it would be possible to add such a feature to the coil manipulator so that I don't have to figure out how to draw a pipe around a torus to create the coil I need.  It would be 1000 times faster to simply be able to manipulate a coil insomuch that it curves around a circle.

Thank you so much!

Seth Harris

1 Comment
HughesTooling
Consultant

Requests for improvements to coil go back years so if you want to do this now use 2 sketches and a sweep with twist in the surface workspace to generate the coil then pipe. If you want an example file start a thread in the design forum as I can't attach files here.

before.png

Clipboard02.png

The coil primitive is pretty useless as it stands as it's difficult to position parametrically and the profile is parallel to the axis. not perpendicular to the helix. As it stands the sketch and sweep with twist produces far better results that a fully parametric.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report