Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Color of Bodies in Cross Sectional Analysis

Change Color of Bodies in Cross Sectional Analysis

For presentation purposes, it'd be really nice to be able to change the colors of the insides of parts when using the cross sectional analysis tool. It is extremely hard to communicate design intent when I'm saying "that beige, sort of peach-like color is this component, which does this, whereas that light purple/pink-ish  color has this function. I would love to be able to say "the green part is this" and "the blue part is this" to communicate my design intentions, and I would like to be able to change the color of the inside cross section of my part to make that simpler.

spring_thing.jpg

This is especially frustrating for me because I have found that Fusion 360 is not very colorblind-friendly (keep in mind, colorblind doesn't mean I can't see color, it means I have trouble differentiating certain shades of some colors, like particular hues of red, green, and yellow - this also applies to colors that involve red or green, like purple). In this image, there are three separate components (the large body with the spring in the middle, a bushing that goes around the shaft of the large body, and a thin sleeve that goes around the spring). I find it very difficult tell the difference between the bushing and the sleeve, and I can't begin to describe what these three colors actually are. As a designer, this makes it very hard to communicate my designs to people, so allowing users to changes these colors instead of having them be randomly generated would be very helpful. There are other issues I've had in identifying colors too, like when construction lines pass inside of closed loops in sketches.

6 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

If you are building assemblies you should be using components, there are a lot of reasons for this and one is you get different colours in sections.

Capture4.PNG

Mark

HughesTooling
Consultant

I reread your idea and you say you have 3 different components. When you say components are you talking about Components in Fusion or that there a 3 bodies. I've tried a few different ways of making components and I always get different colours in sections, or are you just unlucky in your example and the random colouring has made the 3 components almost the same colour.

Here's a quick example where I use create component from body, which is really bad practice by the way and the colours are different.

Capture2.PNG

Mark

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

rklopp
Advocate

Another vote to be able to customize the colors of a cross-section analysis. This would be extremely useful for showing how assemblies go together. The clash between component colors and cross-section colors adds confusion, rather than clarity, to understanding an assembly.

graham3848S
Explorer

Two barely different pinksTwo barely different pinksSo I am working with components here and fusion chooses bad colors that I can' change, t really should be just as easy as interacting with the little color tabs next to the components...

HughesTooling
Consultant

@graham3848S  If you have colour cycling enabled, right click the component and there's an option to near the bottom of the menu to Cycle Component Colour. Looking at your screenshot you'll need to press Shift+N first.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report