Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM Tool Search

CAM Tool Search

After speaking with a few users at AU this year I wanted to post up this idea about tool search for CAM.

Almost all of my tools in my library are named a certain way. For eg: a 1/2" dia 3 Flute 1.25" flute length tool would be labeled as .50_3F_1.25FL. 

The process of selecting a tool is a lengthy one. Starting a tool operation, then selecting SELECT then searching the library for your tool (or clicking on the search window at the top).

It would be nice to have a search window right next to the SELECT window as I've photoshop'd here in the image attached. This would allow less clicks, and a faster way to select your tool. 

tool_search.jpg

Clicking in the search window and starting to type a tool name would also bring a dropdown of similar named tools:

tool_search_dropdown.jpg

3 Comments
Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

I really liked this idea when I first heard it as well.

I think it has some interesting issues though.. For instance, given the way the libraries structure, you're destined to wind up with duplicates and such (in library versus in file, etc..)

Still, I think it's a great idea. Voted!

AmishSolanki
Advocate

Rob, that's true. Maybe on the side of the names it could have something such as (D) for document and (C) for Cloud Library, just so you know which one it's being pulled from.

cj.abraham
Alumni

Something like this has come up internally as well, but only for selecting document tools. I'm personally a big fan of spotlight-type text searching, so I think this a cool way to do it. 

A drawback to this solution is that a user must begin typing in order to get suggestions. A user that doesn't commit to a naming system may not find this feature as useful. I could see a hybrid of this where initially document tools are shown, but begin typing and it becomes a spotlight search to filter tools.

The next consideration would be where we draw the line between quick-selecting tools and actually having to open the library to find a tool, which we still want to be fast anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report