Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM file naming

CAM file naming

There needs to be an improvement for naming posted CAM files. Please add an option for the default "Program name or number" to be other than "1001". It does not make sense to have a file name that does not indicate what part it is associated with. I understand that you can type in an alphanumeric name if your post supports that but it is a nuisance task to retype the part name every time you post your program and it is prone to error. 

I suggest adding a default file name option that would be user defined according to a hierarchy of selected options (or have the option of just using the same name as program number, Oxxxxx, for those who prefer to keep this naming method). This could include Program name, Machine name, Setup name, User name, Operation name, Revision name, etc. Depending on the order that options are selected would determine the default name of the posted nc file instead of "1001". The user then should be able to set a default program number (Oxxxxx) or use a user defined program number from the post process interface.

Example

Program name: default (programName_machineName_setupName)

Program number: default (O0001)

Program comment: 

3 Comments
johnptc314159
Collaborator

MANY CNC MACHINES ONLY ACCEPT NUMERIC NAMES......  BUT NOT A REASON TO  NOT ALLOW IT 🙂

nnmachine_marshall
Contributor

I hope to keep this thread on CAM file naming going so that it will be accepted and implemented as an idea. I appreciate all that have voted and encourage you to ask others that desire an improvement to the way posted files are named to vote as well. I believe that it would be a simple yet highly needed update for CAM users.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

And if I use a name with diacritic (like télé, façade) as many non english speaking users would like, nothing happens. No nc file, no warning.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report