Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean cut using motion study or motion link.

Boolean cut using motion study or motion link.

The best example that comes to mind is the modeling of a globoid gear! Modeling that in Fusion would require a level of skills in the realm of gods! I’m not sure if it’s even currently possible in Fusion.

This is a globoid gear (the gray one):

maxresdefault

Now, let’s imagine that to start with, the globoid gear is a full cylinder and we want tu sculpt it using the orage gear.

1. Creat à motion link between both object’s revolut joints where the gear would turn 120 degrees for each 360 degrees of the cylinder.
  2. Open super exiting new motion cutting tool that every body loves!
  3. Choose boring gray cylinder as target body
  4. Choose orage gear has tool buddy 
  5. Choose motion link has motion feference
  6. Hit Ok
  7. Boring gray cylinder is now beautiful globoid worm gear!!!

Of cours, the globoid gear is only an example, it could be used for all sorts of things! It would literally open up a hole new world of possibilities! It would be very exiting to see all the great inventive use users would come up with this!

Please vote!

13 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

Don't think you'll get this in a NURBS modeler, might work for a mesh modeler. The reason I say this is there are some 2d gear generators that work in a similar way, trimming and cutting the tooth form as the gear turns, here an example. The gears it generates look OK but are made from hundreds of line segments and if you import into Fusion create horrible models compared to the gear script included with fusion that uses splines. Trying the same idea with a 3d model will give the same problem, well cubed as it's 3d.Smiley Very Happy

Mark

blaisebarrette
Advocate

This is the idea station and at this point, that’s all it is, an idea, but you have to admit, such a tool would be amazing!

The Fusion développement team is very resourceful and I‘m sure they can pull it off! What they did fo far is amazing!

Also, to clarify, the gears are just an example... this tool could be used for so much more!

madengineer13
Advocate

I agree,  I think this kind of functionality would be awesome. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be a super-cool tool, but I think If I would be coder at Autodesk and my bosses would put that on my desk to develop, it would be my worst nightmare :c)

There are for sure smarter people than me out there, but I think such a tool would be border-line too complex (and any result would possibly 'kill' performance?)  At best, I could imagine that such a tool would produce a mesh-body which then - as of now - would be rather useless in Fusion...

blaisebarrette
Advocate

bejoscha,

I understand. I will not get my hopes up!

I agree that this would be the result if it is done on a frame based (step, cut, step, cut... etc) but may be there could be a different approach? A more mathematical one perhaps?

I am not a coder and I clearly have no clue about coding this sort of things but I don't think this is a place to debate if it is doable or not. Autodesk has put this idea station out there to see what there users have to suggest. I believe it is very noble of them! And if this idea for exemple gets tons of votes, there's no pressure on them, they decide if it's possible and worth the effort. This is nothing more than naive suggestion!

I swear, my intent is not to cause any trouble! hahahah!

- Blaise

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know, and I voted for the idea :c)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool idea. if anyone knows how to machine that type of thread im all ears. i see how to produce the thread major by turning but the threading operation and the code to use has my mind boggled 

HughesTooling
Consultant

My brother was involved in restoring some vintage cars a few years back and they had one of those gears in its steering box. Several people said they could machine it on their CNCs but when they looked closer couldn't produce the under cuts at the ends of the thread. There might be some CNC lathes that can rotate the tool as it cuts but you might struggle finding someone to do it. We did look into converting a manual lathe to do the job, it would be quite easy you'd just need a lever system to rotate a tool post as the saddle moves.

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable
The root of the thread being on a specific radius is new to me. Ive cut
many types but this hasnt fell upon my table yet.
HughesTooling
Consultant

I think my lathe has an option for cutting a thread on an arc, even a spherical thread on a face but it wouldn't be able to make one of these globoid gears because the thread profile rotates as well. The thread form remains perpendicular to the arc.

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to add that the model in the image looks amazing. So much complexity hiding under a simplistic exterior. Well done!

x3msnake
Enthusiast

@blaisebarrette

What current software has this type of feature implemented?

How you go about building such design with current software?

HughesTooling
Consultant

If you can do the math you could use the api to build the helices then use the patch workspace to build the surfaces. The example above was done in blender, YouTube video here. Don't know if it'll be any help with Fusion, don't have time to watch at the moment.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report