Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

I have a driven dimension in a sketch, which I would like to be able to use in a calculation for another parameter, but there is no way to reference this.  It does not show up in any way under the "Change Parameters" dialog or have any named reference that I can see.

248 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

dimensions.jpg

jeff_strater
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

@Anonymous - thank you for providing the learning content reference.  However, I watched that video, and it doesn't refer to using driven dimensions in equations, it only shows how to create them and that they update from model changes, as opposed to driving the model.  I did not see anything in that lesson that implies any capability that is not in Fusion today.

rbackman07
Enthusiast

I didn't realize we still need to show that this is a much needed feature, this can be done in Solidworks or inventor without blinking. I made another toy example of trying and failing to use driven dimensions in fusion.. I think even limiting driven dimensions within the same sketch would be huge.

edit: I also noticed a bug at the end when I tried to re-reference the driven dimension it keeps the old value instead of the new one.. 

edit2: I posted a video of doing this in inventor

danielsson.tina
Explorer

I'm a pretty new user of Fusion 360, coming back to the CAD scene after a 10 year break due to changing professions. And I have to say that I think it's a truly great piece of software. But once in a while I try to do something that seems like an obvious thing to do, and it turns out that it's not possible in F360. This is one of those times.

I'm amazed that this "feature" has not been added after being requested years ago. It makes no sense that you can only reference driving dimensions, but not driven dimensions. Just fix this already 🙂

gregmainland
Participant

I want to pattern something using a driven dimension as the pattern distance. The driven dimension is pretty complex, it's not practical to calculate it myself. I understand that referencing driven dimensions can sometimes create circular loops, but if there would be no circular loop in this case is there any know workaround to this issue?

gregmainland
Participant

I'm back after reading this whole thread from start to finish. I have a naive question.

Is it relatively easy to add a tool which makes a measurement (like Inpsect->Measure) and turns the result into a referenceable parameter, but the measurement also becomes an event in the timeline? If you want to reference the new parameter you could only do it after this measurement event in the timeline, so you can sidestep the circular dependency / iterative solution problem. However, I have no idea how hard it would be to engineer parameters which are only available after an event in the timeline.

It's possible that limited functionality like this example could relieve much of the tension the community is experiencing, and not take the resources of a large refactor of the constraint solver. Curious to hear your thoughts.

jeff_strater
Community Manager

@gregmainland - If you really read through 13 pages of comments, that is an investment worthy of a response.

What you describe is essentially what the solution to this requirement entails.  A driven dimension is kind of like a persistent measure, it is just encapsulated into a sketch.  The complexity here is not really conceptual.  The theory is pretty simple, and as has been pointed out here, has been done in Inventor years ago.  The problem is only one of implementation.  We made a simplifying assumption early on (turned out to be a bad one, I guess, but Fusion was aimed at a different customer then...) that this was not needed.  So, the parameter system was built assuming that all parameters could be computed at the very beginning of the compute process.  Unfortunately, that assumption has become baked into the product over time.  The difficulty is not really in preventing circular dependencies - any solution here would prevent that up front, so we also don't have to deal with iterative solutions.  The problem is really summed up in your description here:  "I have no idea how hard it would be to engineer parameters which are only available after an event in the timeline".  Today, we can assume that all parameters are always available any time.  We'd have to introduce the idea that some parameters are not available depending on where you are in the timeline.  None of this is rocket science, it is just work.

We do get how important this is.  It is a high priority for us.  I hope, as much as you all do, that we get to it soon.  It would make me happy to cap this thread at 13 pages of comments by saying "done"...  

We appreciate the seriousness of the comments here.  It's nice to be able to have a civil discussion with actual users of the product on topics like this.

Jeff

gregmainland
Participant

I appreciate the response, Jeff. The situation is clear: it's just a lot of refactoring work, not a tricky science project with a constraint solver.

Anyone else with my specific issue (need a "pattern to object" feature similar to the existing "extrude to object" feature), there is another thread discussing it: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/pattern-to-object/idi-p/8336152.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report