Fusion 360 Feedback Hub
Look for threads tagged [OPEN] that interest you, and give your feedback to Fusion 360 Product Managers, User Experience Designers, and Researchers. Only Autodesk staff may author posts, any community member may comment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLOSED - Line Width Control in Drawings

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
TimeraAutodesk
4202 Views, 29 Replies

CLOSED - Line Width Control in Drawings

We’ve heard from over 300 of you that you need line width support in Fusion Drawings, so we’re tackling the first phase of this new feature. There are 2 parts to this project that we’d like to hear your thoughts on as we start to think about offering support and control over line widths. As with any feature that we release, we will be planning it in phases, so that the first delivery is for basic control, and the second and third build on top of it to add a deeper level of functionality. Let’s have a discussion here about what that first, basic offering could look like. 

1. Visualizing lineweights on screen. In the below gif, lineweights are visible as WYSIWYG (i.e. what-you-see-is-what-you-get), and they keep their “real” lineweight width regardless of the zoom. Is this what you expect?

LW_1_Demo_v2.gif

2. Controlling line widths across a drawing document. Here’s what we’re thinking... Default line widths continue to follow ASME and ISO recommendations (see standards below).

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.21.34 AM.png

Changing the line width group will update the appropriate objects’ line widths across the entire document (i.e. views, hidden line geometry, dimensions, etc.). You will also be able to assign a thin, medium or thick value to sketches that get natively created on any sheet. Basic Sketching Tools for drawings is well under way and coming in an update early 2020. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.23.12 AM.png

In the future, this system sets us up to be able to add complexity and deeper levels of customization if and when that’s needed. 

What do you think of this line width group control concept for a first release of basic visibility and management across your Drawings? 

Labels (1)
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Message 3 of 30
mgm1277
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

When is a proper representation of threads coming in 2D drawings

right now they show up as dark black lines and print out  the same way

and MPT PIPE THREADS.

Message 4 of 30
Garret_H

1. Visualizing of line weights is handy so the detailer doesn't make false assumptions of what the finished print will look like, where what they expect to be nice clean detail view prints as a black bar.  

With that feature it will become apparent quickly to the detailer that some objects will lose legibility if multiple lines and hidden lines are stacked up tightly. The ability to delete lines may be needed (a feature I would really like to see for increasing legibility of weldments, but I digress).

2. I would really be happy to see adjustable line widths as described. 

In my 'ole AutoCAD days we would use 3 different line widths, the thinnest of which was more like a grey scale.

The added definition can really help outlines of certain components pop out on assembly drawings, and clean up some of the issues as described above.

Being able to use extra fine, grey line types would really be pleasant when dealing with inserted bolts from McMaster. I have the issue right now where my assembly drawings get really messy due to those McMaster bolt threads get full width linetypes on prints. 

Message 5 of 30
WyzeOwl

I would like to see that detailing can be completed using various colours for various line types - like layering. For people who have issues with seeing contrast, colouration of detail line work is an important feature, especially in very busy drawings. I use these by default from templates I have developed over many years in other CAD apps. Hope to see this soon in F360.

Message 6 of 30
fprico

Hi, this is what I would like to see in drawing I think its needed. Control and manage layers like in Autocad, set lineweights.

Second to have basic drawing tools in the drawing enviromet.

Last to have an import dwg in drawing.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 30
macklARP8B

This is certainly a start, and I'm glad to see progress being made on this! 

A big thing for me comes back to being able associate line weights with layers, or line types. Rather than (or perhaps in addition to) having a dropdown of options for line weights, it would be useful to be able to make all dimension lines one weight, and all visible lines another weight, for example.

Message 8 of 30
Intuos5

Perhaps it would be interesting for the team to look at how Revit handles line weights, although it is not very user friendly in customising, it works based on a component approach. Whatever geometry is created within a category is automatically assigned the correct line weight, therefore it requires less work to set up the linetypes after geometry creation. For Fusion this would entail assigning line widths to bodies/ components (categories in Revit) and override the width for individual lines. 

Message 9 of 30
GraphicMan

I have returned to see what is happening with this issue because I keep getting messages regarding this topic.

I have no idea how long ago I posted on this website on this issue.

"First Phase"  "Planning in Phases"  "Concept"  "First Release" are all the buzz phrases I see.

I am really, really shocked.

Message 10 of 30

Hi,

I think that if we can modify the color of lines, for example , the hatchings color, would be a good way....

Another thing, for the tangences lines, if they could be gray and thin... Good thing too!

Thanks and have a nice day
Frederic

Message 11 of 30

And for the gray thin tangences lines, it will be fun on 3D view!!!

Message 12 of 30
Garret_H

Another feature that is really needed is the ability to remove lines and detail in the drawing environment.

An example of where this is needed is using a bearing from McMaster that contains full internal detail like individual ball bearings.

If I want to show hidden lines of features (usually do) I end up getting this big black mess on my drawing where the ball bearing is. This really limits how much detail I can show in fabrication drawings, and makes my job a lot harder. Either I have to provide clarifying details of the assembly, remove the bearing, or create a simplified version of that same bearing. Not a fast process either way.

Message 13 of 30

I suggest going according to ASME or ISO specifications and no more...

The issue with custom line width on every CAD software is you don't get on print what you see on screen, but your CPU performance has been killed because you start touching width setup... 

As an experienced mechanical CAD user, I always set up my software to run on low GPU demand, unless is strictly necessary to run on full resolution or detail... 

Line width is critical for manufacturing and usually is requested when you are going to generate your PDFs or blueprints. 

Message 14 of 30
AussieLew

Perhaps you are starting off with complexity  without flexibility by having so many "Groups"?

My understanding of what you're suggesting with Groups is we would be restricted to the 3 line weights in the chosen Group and each weight within the Group would be assigned to the category of objects in the drawing, Views, Dimensions etc these categories designated by the Fusion development team.

The take out I got from my reading of related threads is there is no one solution that will suit most people other than the ability for the user to set the line weights. Sure it will still get picky about what we can assign to what and the solution in a subsequent phase would be everything in a drawing would have properties among which would be all the line work related properties. These to be set individually if required.

Standards are fine and in many scenarios need to be adhered to or are a good starting points for uniformity etc. But not everyone would want to be forced to  at the expense of drawing clarity.

We all have our own needs, demands, hardware etc Printing on A4 and A3 (both very common) for example is a lot different to printing the same items scaled up on an A2, A1 etc The recommended weights in your Standards example of .3mm minimum and .6mm maximum would be ludicrous for detail printed at A4. (Working on their 2:1 ratio)

From your example for me printing on A4  then .5mm is too big for Views and detail is lost with lines merged together. To go smaller under your proposal for Views would then reduce the thinnest line option to half that again. My laser printer for example will not print the lines under a certain weight so I need to pick an optimum value.

My suggestion for what it's worth then is, yes start with ASME or ISO as a default and offer the thin, medium and thick line weights suggested by the Standards for the particular sheet size etc (although from your post the standards seem to suggest only 2 line weights on a drawing?) 

BUT these line weights must be able to be modified by the user and be sensibly allocated to suitable categories of objects.

In your first stage these settings could be document wide ie All Views would use the line weight for Views, Dimensions would use the Dimension line weight etc etc

Then as drawing tools are added you are going to need line weight and style, colour etc. etc etc

My thought!

Message 15 of 30
AussieLew

Although not 100% on topic, as a newish user I would like to see whatever is added to the Drawing environment to be compatible or consistent in looks and behavior to the other areas of Fusion.

In my admittedly fairly limited experience with Fusion, most (but not all) of Fusion tools I have used so far behave and appear to be fairly consistent.

At present the way commands look and behave in Drawing is totally different . If you've used Drawing you will know what I mean.

It tends to look and feel like an add-on built by another team without being given the overall ground rules.

My thoughts...

Message 16 of 30

Short feedback:

I'm working on our corporate title block, trying to build it from scratch only with Fusion tools (I'm avoiding 3rd party formats/software i.e. DWG/Autocad, only title block editor tools).

No good results yet. Fusion performance goes down. Line-width/line-style options are still too limited.  

Message 17 of 30

I think sticking as close to ASME and ISO line weight standards is essential.

As this project moves forward to other phases, it would be nice to have the ability to add additional line styles (i.e. phantom lines) to the library of line styles, so that range of motion can be illustrated within the F360 drawing environment.

Message 18 of 30
Garret_H

I've been working on completing a set of patent drawings for a client. There has been non-stop complaining from the patent lawyers on line weights.  Too dark! too light! It's like the story of the 3 bears with the bowls of porridge only there's no option for that "just right" bowl. 

Right now my only option has been to turn light weights on or off. 

At least for now I can use my AutoCAD license to get there...

Message 19 of 30

Hello,

On this topic, is it possible to ask to add also a minimum of layer control in order to export some DXF with a minimum of attributs?

depending of the process you may need some informations on some dedicated layer either for cutting, tracing, or show/hide.

Many Thanks

Message 20 of 30
joe_palmer

This looks like a great feature update, the implementation is sensible also. The WYSIWYG display adds clarity.

Once the basic functionality of this line control has been released, however, users should really be given control over individual lines (width, colour, solid/dash/control style etc). Both the ASME and ISO standards have some very niche cases for the use of particular line styles. It is unlikely that all of these niche cases will be captured in the pen table described here, as such some ability to change individual line styles will be needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report