Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does SUPPRESS do?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
RogerInHawaii
6759 Views, 7 Replies

What does SUPPRESS do?

Some dialogs have a Suppress option. What does it do?

What Does Suppress Do.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

the pattern commands have this checkbox.  If the box is checked, then the UI to suppress individual instances of the pattern is presented, and you can choose to suppress some instances of the pattern.  This is useful in cases where the boundary of the component is neither circular nor rectangular, or if you want an irregular pattern

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 8
patilsm
in reply to: RogerInHawaii

Hi @RogerInHawaii ,

Thanks for your post 

Attached screen cast supporting @jeff.strater comments.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/66fa7eab-d04a-4348-b1df-a052a85f30e4 

Regards,

Sagar Patil

Sagar Patil
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 8

If you creating a pattern with a larger amount of instance I've found the suppression dialogue so slow, however, that it is faster of removing (not deleting) the unwanted instances.

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 8

OK. So, when you checkmark the Suppress checkbox in any of the Pattern dialogs it causes a checkmark to appear on the model wherever the duplicated object is to be created. BEFORE hitting the OK button on the dialog you can then go to the model and UN-check any of those checkmarks. Only the copies with checkmarks will then actually get created. This allows you to make patterns in which you don't necessarily want ALL of the indicated copies to actually get created.

Yes, definitely a handy option.

I would suggest, however, that the word "Suppress" is a bit odd. Checkmarks usually indicate an object that you want some operation to be performed on or allowed on. When I select to Suppress something I would expect that I would be selecting, by CHECKMARKING, the ones that I want to suppress. But instead I'm UN-checking the ones that I want to suppress from being created.  It just seems a bit backwards.

Also, I'd like to suggest, again, that a help icon be available on each and every dialog which, when clicked, explains in detail what the dialog does and what each of the options provide.  OR, as used to be fairly common on applications, a question mark icon, usually in the upper right corner, that can be dragged onto any of the fields/options on a dialog in order to get a pop-up that explains the item. That would elininate a lot of the need to go searching around the web for tutorials or asking questions on forums about how things work.

Message 6 of 8
RogerInHawaii
in reply to: patilsm

Thank you,  

Message 7 of 8
Fabbunny69
in reply to: RogerInHawaii

Thanks guys for your help but I agree that train of thought needed for this one is backwards, I feel you should be ticking the items you want to suppress and not the ones you don't want to suppress.

Thanks again

Message 8 of 8

Hi,
Suppress main performs to deactivate or remove any instances of geometry or body you do not want that will exists when doing the pattern and others else.
Thank you.

Md. Shahriar Mohtasim
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, 
RUET

LinkedIn | Facebook | Youtube (CADs) | Twitter

Autodesk Product Users, BD

If you found this post helpful please hit the LIKE button and for a solution hit the ACCEPT SOLUTION.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report