Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uploaded dxf comes in the wrong size/units

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
scadvice
17385 Views, 39 Replies

uploaded dxf comes in the wrong size/units

Hi,

I've been trying to upload a dxf 2D file for an old EZCAM software in the correct size and units (in). the upload works fine accept the size is off. A length that should measure 6.000 inches only measures 2.3622...?? The reduction is symmetrical in both 2D axis.

In the recent 3 years past I have uploaded these  2D dxf's on to a version of Autocadlite without problems.

A solution for uploading to size would sure help.

Alternately,  a process to adjust by percentage 'scaling' back to size would also do the trick as I only have 20 or 30 files to do and in the sampleing I did they were all off by the same scale.

Thanks 

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
Phil.E
in reply to: scadvice

DXF was created to be unitless, like DWG. It's up to the software to interpret the single DXF unit as in, mm, etc.So in your old software 6 generic units are labeled and treated as inch, but are in fact generic units. It's a lot like paper plotting, you have to tell the plotter what a 'unit' is equal to in order to get a 1:1 plot. AutoCAD LT would gladly display 6 generic units as cm, mm, inch or whatever you say they are in AutoCAD LT.

So what Fusion is doing is interpreting 6 units as 6 cm.

We are working on this and your data will help. Some software does use a variable that can carry unit labels in DXF. Some doesn't. We need to do a better job of a) reading units in DXF if they in fact exist (which is not always the case) and b) allowing you to set the units if they don't. Since Fusion translations are done in the cloud on upload, this requires a UI for the upload process that accounts for DXF units.

Can you send me some dxf files at phil eichmiller at autodesk dot com? Please include a reference image that includes at least one dimension so I know what size the DXF should be after translation.

Thanks!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 40
CGPM
in reply to: scadvice

Hmmmm, it's off by 2.54.  Immediately after importing just change your units to inches and scale it by 2.54 before doing anything else.  It would be nice if we could tell Fusion to import to inches or metric but on the list of things to do I think this is pretty low since it is easy to fix once imported.

Message 4 of 40
etfrench
in reply to: CGPM

In my 2d cad program, I need to set the export units to Centimeters before creating the dxf. This may save some time if your cad works the same.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 40
dstevenslv
in reply to: Phil.E

It's another missing/poorly implemented feature that makes using Fusion 360 more trouble than it's worth in many situations. Data exchange and re purpose is a common workflow and Fusion 360 handles both poorly compared to other tools.

Not being able to import DXF files to the correct scaling is a glaring oversight. In many ways the project looks to be more of a technology showcase for cloud based modeling rather than developing into a tool that designers can use to replace or even augment other tools.
Message 6 of 40
Phil.E
in reply to: dstevenslv

Hi dstevenslv, welcome to the Fusion forum!

I'm really curious what you think about data exchange and repurposing. Can you explain what you mean when you say "Fusion 360 handles both poorly compared to other tools"? We really like to hear from community members such as yourself, so please help us out. Your opinion matters.

As I said, we are working on a solution that allows the selection of units on import. Is there anything else missing from this workflow in your opinion?

Thanks!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 40
scadvice

For the time being I'm scaling backup to size... It's not a big issue to do so.

Message 8 of 40
gauvreau-yves

@Phil.E

Ok, units are not a big deal in themselves. I would humbly suggest though that you could assume the dxf drawing is in the same units as the prefered units and coordinate system, ie Z up, Y up or whatever. I have a 3d dxf and a dwg file with a relatively large number of elements (330 curves) same in both files. Some layer elements in the dxf just disapear and the dwg turn into 1298 elements in F360 when I want to rotate. Worst, some element where not selected (using a window select) for some reason and when I want to make corrections it revert back to the plane before the rotation which makes it say very difficult to fix.

The good news in all this is that I learned a few things and I'll be using as many sketch (layers) as needed to group elements to make it easy to select in the next operation.

I hope I'll find an as elegant solution to select a bunch of things in the Cam workspace.

Thanks,

Yves

Message 9 of 40
Phil.E
in reply to: gauvreau-yves

Can you share the dxf and dwg?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 40
gauvreau-yves

@Phil.E

Here are the files. They contain exactly the same data. The .3dm original shows up as an empty file. The dxf and dwg files where exported from the same program this time using the original 3dm file. The first time I tried, I used 2 different programs to export the dxf and the dwg files may be that's the reason some data was lost in the process. Now the dxf and dwg file both open with the wrong orientation and in milimeters but no element missing this time. It's not a big deal as I can almost as easily export to an SVG file if needed.

I'm sorry, I'm a french speaking person and my english vocabulary is not as good as I would like. I think I can say without insulting anyone, that I'm surprised Autodesk, an american company beside that, defaults to milimeters instead of inches and to Y up coordinate system. I'm surprised as well that my 3dm original opens up empty.

Though I'm getting better at sketching if I can say that, it is still much easier for me to make these sketch in my prefered program but I understand the principle of doing every things in the same application, it give much more robust results and it's easier to manage. Is there another file format for just vectors that would keep the unit and coordinate system and of course one that F360 can read without a foss?

One last little thing if I may, maybe you can direct me to the right place, When I lunch the extrude command for example, whatever I selected prior to calling the command is lost, so how do I select multiple items efficiently in F360. I find myself selecting one edge at a time way to often. I'm sure there is a better ways.

Thanks,

Yves

PS I just saw that the 3DM file as been removed.

Message 11 of 40
Phil.E
in reply to: gauvreau-yves

So to summarize the numerous issues you bring:

FYI: I'm testing your data in our development build that will be released as an update this weekend. These are the results I get.

1. "Some layer elements in the dxf just disapear and the dwg turn into 1298 elements in F360 when I want to rotate."

I'm not seeing any issues like this. How are you counting the elements?

2. "Worst, some element where not selected (using a window select) for some reason "

If you zoom out so that sketch elements are smaller than one pixel they cannot be selected. Zoom in.

3. "When I want to make corrections it revert back to the plane before the rotation which makes it say very difficult to fix"

In Preferences > Design > Turn off "Auto look at sketch" I think this may be the problem you describe. If not, please provide more details.

4. "The .3dm original shows up as an empty file."

Please zip the .3dm and attach here.

5. "Now the dxf and dwg file both open with the wrong orientation and in milimeters "

• Which orientation did you save them in, and in what units? I'm getting Z up and millimeters. The long edge is 1066.8 mm/42 inch.
  • There is an improvement coming to the insert DXF workflow that will allow direct insert on any plane. I tested your DXF while using Inch units and it still comes in at 42inch/1066.8mm wide.
  • I think this will be fixed for you after this weekend. 🙂

6. " I'm surprised Autodesk, an american company beside that, defaults to milimeters instead of inches and to Y up coordinate system. "

You can set preferences to inch/mm and Z up in Preferences.

7. "Is there another file format for just vectors that would keep the unit and coordinate system and of course one that F360 can read without a foss?"

AutoCAD.

8. "When I lunch the extrude command for example, whatever I selected prior to calling the command is lost, so how do I select multiple items efficiently in F360."

What you describe shouldn't be a problem if all the profiles are on one plane. Extrude can only work on one plane at a time. Can you make a video using Autodesk Screencast and post the link? 

Also, have you tried the selection filter?

Selection_Filter.png

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 40

Have you changed you preferences to Z up in Fusion.

Clipboard02.png

Also can you zip the 3dm file and attach, I made a custom export scheme in Rhino that works quite well I'd like to test. The reason the 3d comes in empty is because only surface are imported from that format. DWG and DXF are the only formats that import surfaces and curves. Don't think there's a work around for the units, although it would be quite easy to write a script for Rhino to scale do the export then undo the scale.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 40

Here's a screen grab of the export scheme I've set up in Rhino.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 40

The dxf file here is the first I tried in F360 it was exported from a different program then the one I used for my previous post.

Next you have to original 3dm file and lastly I took a screenshot of my workspace to show the orientation Z up we can see in the bottom left corner and I always work in inches.

Yves

Message 15 of 40

Yes I did change the Modeling and Cam workspace to inch and Z up. 

Essentially, I opted to use F360 mainly because of the Cam workspace. I normally use a little program called Moi, it's kind of old friend I can't do without for to long. I wanted to explore Fusion as much as possible but I'll probably do most of my work using Moi. But we never know.

Thanks

Yves

Message 16 of 40

Do you have Rhino or is the export from Moi.

Here's what I get exporting from Rhino using the export setting I attached to an earlier post.

Capture5.PNG

I've attached the DWG, after opening in Fusion click the units at the top of the browser and change to inches, no need to scale.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 17 of 40

The file I named VacuumOutlinesDXF1.zip is from Moi, which is much larger then the one from Rhino maybe other things are different.

The files named VacuumOutlinesDXF.dxf and VacuumOutlinesDWG.dwg are both from Rhino.

And yes Mark I noticed that I only need to change the unit to inch and the dimensions are fine 24" x 42"

I just verified again and all 3 files open with Y up and in mm and as you can see for yourself, here is what I get with the export from Moi (VacuumOutlinesDXF1.zip). All my original layers or styles convert to a sketch but as you can see many of these are empty.

Yves

Message 18 of 40

I think after setting your Preferences to Z up in Fusion you would need to upload the files again, changing the Preferences doesn't change existing files.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 19 of 40

This is what I get importing your DXF file from post #10, Z is up blue line.

Capture5.PNG

But the view cube is wrong, you can realign the view cube though.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 20 of 40

Mark,

the file from post #10 is from a Rhino export and beside the unit (mm) and the Y up orientation of the WCS it seems fine, no missing part.

This one here is an export from Moi.

VacuumOutlinesDXF1 v1.png

As you can see, there are a few things missing and this what I was speaking about. Now I know the problem comes from the Moi export.

If you load the dxf from post #10 into Rhino, The blue line will be point toward you when viewed from the top. The image you show here shows the blue line is vertical when viewed from the top in F360 and the Y axis is pointing towards you, for me that's Y up. I know it's possible to rotate the drawings but it seems creating a new design and inserting the DXF file solve all these problems as long as the DXF comes from Rhino, not from Moi.

Basically, I'm satisfied with that solution and workflow. Create your drawings where ever you want and as long as the DXF export of your program (like Rhino) is compatible with F360, just create a new design in F360, then insert the DXF and your in business.

Thanks,

Yves

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report