Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threaded holes on a flange?????

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jim_dean
524 Views, 9 Replies

Threaded holes on a flange?????

I'm new F360 and I'm trying to design a simple round flange with threaded holes.   I have no issues placing holes using the circle tool to place a hole then use the pattern tool to create the bolt circle I need.  However, I can't seem to do it with the Hole tool.  I keep getting a error when I try to locate a thread hole.  Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: jim_dean

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

TheCADWhisperer_0-1613047649238.png

Message 3 of 10
jim_dean

Thanks for your reply.  I can create a flange similar to the one you show above but I can't get the holes placed accurately using the hole tool.  When I try to accurately locate the first hole (using At Point) and try to select a Reference I get this error -  "No target body found to cut or intersect".   I created a bolt circle construction line but can't get a threaded hole to snap to it.  I can get a circle to snap to it, which is accurately placed.  I use the Pattern tool to create the other holes.  When I use circles to create the hole, everything is accurately placed on the bolt circle, but when I place them with the hole tool (manually placing them) they are off slightly when you check the dimensions.

Message 4 of 10
jim_dean

FYI, I used the same process on a simple cube and I could accurately place the threaded hole on a face.  I just can't seem to make it work on a flange.

Message 5 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

@jim_dean wrote:

FYI, I used the same process on a simple cube and I could accurately place the threaded hole on a face.  I just can't seem to make it work on a flange.

Can you explain the logic of why you have not attached an example file here that exhibits this behavior?

Message 6 of 10
chrisplyler

1. Make sure you have sketched an actual Point somewhere on your bolt circle, so that the Hole tool's at-a-point option has something to accurately snap to.

2. Make sure that the direction of the Hole actually cuts through the flange material. If it doesn't, you will get the "no body found" warning. You might need to flip the direction.

3. If #2 isn't a problem, you may be attempting to use the Hole tool while an empty Component is activated. Make sure the flange Component is active before you start the Hole tool.

Message 7 of 10
jim_dean
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Sorry, I'm still learning how to attach files.

Message 8 of 10
jim_dean
in reply to: chrisplyler

That was the problem, I didn't sketch an actual point on the bolt circle. Thanks I got it to work.
Message 9 of 10
jim_dean

Here is the flange I was describing.  My issue was I did not have an actual point on the bolt circle construction line.  

Message 10 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

You have white dots in your sketches.

Any time you have white dots you should STOP and ask questions - do not continue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report