Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping in Fusion

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
erik
17418 Views, 6 Replies

Snapping in Fusion

Right now I am in the situation trying to sketch a model where I am unable to snap a line to a quadrant point of a circle. It is possible to draw lines to work around this but it feels very clunky. Then I wondered, is it just me having this problem or are other people facing the same issue?

I have browsed the internet and forum and found that a lot of people are having issues snapping in Fusion.

There is this post in the IdeaStation about a request for Object Snap as it is in other programs:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/object-snap-is-really-needed/idi-p/3...

Just one question is unanswered. Since the post was created in 2013 and the Object Snap is not yet implemented in Fusion, is the Fusion team trying to work on a solution for this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: erik

The thread you linked to is a bit different, I think it's asking for snaps on solid parts\edges while assembling. Quad points in sketches have been requested quite a few times but I'd guess they're working on improving the performance of the sketcher before adding new snaps. There is a workaround without the need to draw any extra lines by the way, just add a vertical\horizontal constraint to the line endpoint and the circle centre.

logo.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
erik
in reply to: HughesTooling

Since he said it was in all 3 workspaces one of them would be model, but I might be wrong on that one.

Thanks for trick though, I am still trying to wrap my head around the constraints part.

I guess I am too used to just snapping and moving lines around without binding them to each other.

It takes time getting used using constraints to align lines and other drawing objects.

Message 4 of 7

I read your comments at the end of the ideas thread and a lot of that can be done now. If you want a midpoint hold the shift key down. If you need to draw tangent from an arc, with the line tool active click on the arc and drag the the line. To draw a line from a point to a tangent just move the cursor over the arc until the tangent point highlights. These complaint tend to come from AutoCAD users not from Solidworks or Inventor users as pretty much every solid modeler works like this in the sketch environment.

Here's a screencast with some examples. There are a few snaps that need improving like Quad points and Perpendicular to arcs and splines but I don't see the workflow changing in a big way to something like AutoCAD. The programs are just different and both work.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: erik

@Anonymous wrote:

Since he said it was in all 3 workspaces one of them would be model, but I might be wrong on that one.

That thread got a bit confusing. Sketches work pretty well and assembling components works well, joints have good control but point to point moves of bodies could do with improving. For example there's no quad points on a cylinder. You have snap points on the edge of the box for end and mid but only centre for the circular edge.

logo.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
erik
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks for the video that illustrates snapping in Fusion very well, I appreciated a lot.

I guess you are right about the AutoCad user since we don’t draw sketches from constrained lines. It takes some effort getting used to binding all the lines in constrains because I’m used to freely moving my lines and circles around without disturbing the rest of the drawing.

Your video illustrates very well how many of my asked objects snaps have already been put into Fusion and I think it was just the Quad throwing me off and then not being able to draw a line from the center to the edge and then moving the it without the whole drawing following the line.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Message 7 of 7

Thank you that really helped me as well because i've been searching for a fix for a while now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report