Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketches and bodies are disappearing during edit sketch

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hans
9706 Views, 4 Replies

sketches and bodies are disappearing during edit sketch

Greetings,

since the most recent update I have had an issue with sketches (others that I am not editing) and bodies disappearing when I select Edit Sketch. They disappear from both the model view and the browser tree and return as soon as hit Finish Sketch. Makes it kinda hard to sketch when the objects I need to reference vanish.

any thoughts?

regards,

Hanswurst

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeff_strater
in reply to: hans

Hi @hans,

This is a great question.  It is a common question among people who are not familiar with history-based parametric modeling.  The timeline at the bottom of the screen is a historical record of operations that you have done.  When you edit a sketch or a feature, you are really time-traveling back to the point in time when that sketch was first created.  So, yes, everything after that sketch is no longer available.  This is necessary because this style of modeling is associative.  That is, you can have features that depend on sketch geometry, such that, if you edit the sketch, the feature will update.  This results in a dependency from the sketch to the feature.  Parametric modelers such as Fusion then have to prevent you from creating circular dependencies.  So, if you have Sketch1, and an Extrude1 that consumes it, then you create Sketch2 by sketching on a face produced by Extrude1, you have a dependency chain from Sketch1 -> Extrude1 -> Sketch2.  So, you cannot create a dependency from Sketch2 -> Sketch1, or you would have a cycle.  So, when you edit Sketch1, Fusion "rolls back" the timeline to a point before Extrude1 and Sketch2 existed, to prevent these types of cycles from being created.

And yes, this does require you to plan your design a little.   If you need something in SketchB in SketchA, then, it's best to create SketchB before SketchA.  In all the cases that I've seen, there is always an ordering that will satsify all the requirements of building a design.

So:  editing a sketch or a feature is time-travel.  If you remember this, it will make everything easier.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 5
philQ46VH
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks for the exact answer I was looking for!  I did just realize, at least with sketches, one way around the problem of trying to reference later sketch geometries from earlier sketches, and that is to either copy the earlier geometries to a new later sketch, or copy the later geometries to an earlier sketch.  

And, so you won't have to look this up like I did a few days back, in order to copy sketch geometries between sketches you must first open and edit the sketch, select the items, and hit copy (Cntl/Cmd - C), then open the other sketch and paste them!

Message 4 of 5
dsouza_carl
in reply to: jeff_strater

I have been working on a model of a truck since the last few months.  Today, while I was almost getting done with my project, I saw that Fusion 360 was backing up my data in the background.  While the backup was happening in the background, Sketch#505 was still in edit mode and at the same time, I was turning-off other sketches to simplify my view.

Just as the auto-backup finished, the list of the sketches, components, bodies, etc. froze for a while and came back.  Next, I noticed that more that half of my sketches, bodies and components DISAPPEARED!!!!!  I was working on sketch#505, and now the latest sketch visible is Sketck#251!!!!!!

I just lost a good 15 days of work!  My Manual backup file that is 10 days old has upto Sketch#383!!!!  C'mon Autodesk, why is this happening??? This to really bad, I mean, very very very bad!  I really hope and pray that I get my data back.

Message 5 of 5
chrisplyler
in reply to: dsouza_carl

If I were you, I would make this complaint in a new thread, instead of posting it within someone else's two-year old thread.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report