Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parameter printout

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
queenmarytf
675 Views, 12 Replies

parameter printout

I would like to be able to refer to the parameters of another project to be able to re-create a clean assembly and components project.
I used this project To Learn Fusion and would now like a much cleaner instance. How can I get this?
A PDF or any format that I could display on my screen simultaneously with a new project would work perfectly.  My plan is to link all of the components parameters appropriately.
Thanks,
Mary

http://a360.co/1II1UKM

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jjurban55
in reply to: queenmarytf

Hi Mary, that is a really cool design (is that a solid diamond knob? 😉 ). 

For now I'm guessing the easiest way is a combination of capturing sketch images and just paper and pencil for other 3d parameters (I tend to go in the timeline and right click and edit, for say extrudes to get the values I used...under Modify there is a 'Change parameters' spreadsheet but I find it can be hard to identify what is what there).  For capturing sketch images you can choose the fit tool on the bottom of the screen toolbar (or just zoom in manually), and then go to 'File' and 'Capture image', which takes a nice picture without open tool windows and what not.  I found a lower resolution shows the dimensions better, such as the custom of around 800 by 550 or whatever.  You can turn visibility off for all other components and bodies so the sketch is very clear.

Hope that helps a little.

Jesse

Message 3 of 13
queenmarytf
in reply to: jjurban55

hollow diamond that will have a working LED!
Message 4 of 13
jeff_strater

Echoing Jesse's compliments about your design.  A very nice design, indeed.

I see now what you are asking about - you are interested in rebuilding this design, and want to make sure that you reuse the same parameters and values.  Seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, there really is no export capability from the parameters dialog.  That would be a good Idea Station suggestion.

The only real useful help I can add here is to use "favorites" (the star icon on the left of the parameter entry) to promote the important parameters to the Favorites section of the dialog, and do a screen capture of those.  It's not nearly as nice as a PDF output, or even better some kind of CSV export of parameters that could be re-imported to your new design.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 13
queenmarytf
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks for the reply. If I were to try and query the database could I do it in Python or Java? I am trying to decide if I want a Java or Python class next. Will either really helped me in using Fusion?

Could I write a simple report?

Thanks,
Mary

And thanks about the compliment on my design. I would like to find people to help me make this a commercial option for those with disabilities. When the joints are fully animated it will stand up fully and lay down fully. I would have approximately double my distance, and about 10 times more Clearance. And in addition to all of this I hope to shape the market similar to Android. So that it encourages accessories.Wheelchairs in the US Are truly terrible, mine cost $27,000 and get stuck on a piece of gravel. And in addition to this EVERY THING is proprietary and costs outrageous amounts when anything breaks.

Message 6 of 13
jeff_strater

Yes, you should be able to do this via the API.  I have contacted the API expert to give us some hints, but it should be straightforward.  I will follow up when I hear back.  It's a great idea, actually.

Thanks for sharing your goals for this project.  It sounds like a fantastic one.  I ran into some of the same concerns with my parents and wheelchairs - they are expensive and not very functional.  Are you planning to do some kind of Kickstarter funding for it?  If so, let us know.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 13
ekinsb
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hi Mary,

Jeff's right, this is a great idea.  I went ahead and wrote a script that will write all of the user and model parameters of the active design into a specified .csv file.  I think I'm going to add it as one of the samples in the API help.

To use this in Fusion just copy the .py file from the attached zip to anywhere on your machine, run the "Scripts and Add-Ins" command from inside Fusion and click the green plus sign next to "My Scripts" and browse to the .py file on your system.  This will add it to the scripts list.  You can run it now by selecting it from the list in the "Scripts and Add-Ins" dialog and clicking "Run".

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 8 of 13
queenmarytf
in reply to: ekinsb

Hi Brian, thanks for the solution. You gave me exactly what I asked for. And now just like a petulant child, I'm going to ask for more.

The output does not include the base component names. So it is very difficult to figure out what the data is describing. I can manually label every line, or maybe you could add another column?

You guys have been extremely responsive, and I appreciate it greatly.
Thank you,
Mary
Message 9 of 13
ekinsb

Can you try this version?

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 10 of 13
queenmarytf

I would love to, but I don't see one attached.
Message 11 of 13
ekinsb

Sorry for the slow reply.  Here's the updated version.  Just unpack it so the DumpParameters directory is in "%appdata%\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\API\Scripts".

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 12 of 13
cloudbase9

This directory "%appdata%\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\API\Scripts" seems to no longer exist as you've described it. Is there now a new location?

Message 13 of 13
ekinsb
in reply to: cloudbase9

That directory should still be there, although it's different for Mac. Actually the easiest thing to do is to unpack the zip file anywhere you want, run the "Scripts and Add-Ins" command, and click the green "+" symbol as shown below.  You can then browse to the script folder and in this case, select the file DumpParameters.py.  This should add it to the list of scripts.  You only need to do that once and Fusion will remember it after that.

AddScriptOrAddIn.png

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report