Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Fusion360 Need help with sheet metal work around

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1306 Views, 14 Replies

New to Fusion360 Need help with sheet metal work around

20170425_122745.jpg20170425_123535.jpg20170425_143724.jpg20170426_035746.jpg20170426_040531.jpghttp://a360.co/2pIzhxi

Hey there guys and girls,  I am new to the whole 3d modeling game and am attempting to implement fusion360 into my current work.  Decided to try to model an intercooler endtank that I had just made a couple days ago by hand.  Im running a CNC plasma table to cut out my plates prior to forming and welding so I am attempting to find a way to model the component in fusion and split it to generate a DXF for a flat part.  If anyone has any tips on how to do something like this or can point me in the right direction for this type of project it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

-Dan

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

screenshot.pnghere's a quick screen shot of my attempt at modeling the part after having already made it by hand

Message 3 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

Those are some good looking weld beads.

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thanks for the reply!!

I can use the welder OK just not the computer hahaha.  Let me see if I can export this properly.  

Message 5 of 15
TrippyLighting

Beautiful!

@brianrepp can we sign this gentleman up for the sheetmetal preview ?

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

I recommend that  you sign up for the Sheet Metal Beta (I don't have it, but something similar to this is how I would model in Inventor or SolidWorks).

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

thanks guys!

Top Daug, I think you are losing me on the delete face step that you have.  Still extremely new to the software im kinda sorting my way through the tools.  

Not sure if I have enough experience with CAD to be in the BETA testing arena for sheet metal but I am definitely more than willing to give it a go.  I have the thread open right now going to add myself in as soon as I finish up what I am working on right now. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

that would be awesome.  Not sure I have the required expertise but I am more than willing to see what I can do with it.  Im guessing that the sheet metal beta testing thread is locked as I cannot see a way to post a reply there at the current juncture. 

-Dan

Message 9 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

... you are losing me on the delete face step that you have.  ..   

Not sure if I have enough experience with CAD to be in the BETA testing arena for sheet metal .... 

Shell will often return incorrect results where cut side is not perpendicular to the flat.  

Delete Face and then Thickens ensures that the material is uniform thickness with cut sides perpendicular to the flat.  (the sheet metal tools would automatically generate the Flat Pattern for you - but not sure if they will support multi-body)

They love to have novices involved in BETA as experts always do things "right" and miss the issues that novices will find.

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Not sure what I have wrong there but when I try to delete the lower face this is what I end up with.  Looks like its continuing the 4" radius fillet.  

I also cannot find the trim tool that it looks like you used to separate the 2 panels.  Bear with me here, Im a 2D guy entering into a 3D world.

Trust me sir I will find myself in areas of the software I definitely should not be.......

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... you are losing me on the delete face step that you have.  ..   

Not sure if I have enough experience with CAD to be in the BETA testing arena for sheet metal .... 

Shell will often return incorrect results where cut side is not perpendicular to the flat.  

Delete Face and then Thickens ensures that the material is uniform thickness with cut sides perpendicular to the flat.  (the sheet metal tools would automatically generate the Flat Pattern for you - but not sure if they will support multi-body)

They love to have novices involved in BETA as experts always do things "right" and miss the issues that novices will find.

Message 11 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what I have wrong there but when I try to delete the lower face this is what I end up with.  Looks like its continuing the 4" radius fillet.  

I also cannot find the trim tool that it looks like you used to separate the 2 panels.  .  

You must enter the surface modeling (Patch) workspace to find the correct Delete Face and Surface Trim tools.

Patch.png

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

You sir are my hero!  once in the patch work space everything worked out perfectly.  Now to find a way to get it all flattened out and I am in business.  

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also cannot find the trim tool that it looks like you used to separate the 2 panels.  .  

You must enter the surface modeling (Patch) workspace to find the correct Delete Face and Surface Trim tools.

Patch.png

Message 13 of 15
promm

@Anonymous,

I added you to the sheet metal preview.  Later this month the preview will get the ability to flatten a sheet metal model.  I sent you an email with more details, let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 14 of 15
promm
in reply to: promm

@Anonymous,

BOOM, Mic drop

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 2.36.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 2.46.09 PM.png 

Dan I sent you the file.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: promm

Hello,

I wonder did you model from the beginning or used convert to sheet metal tool?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report