Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Leaks / Failing to Release Memory

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
McSquizzy
2474 Views, 15 Replies

Memory Leaks / Failing to Release Memory

Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of
"Windows is low on memory, please close the following programs to free up RAM:
Autodesk Fusion 360"
messages, and it looks like Fusion is chewing up memory (about 1.6-2GB) and not letting go of it once the models are closed (exiting all tabs). The only way to clear it is to restart the program.

So after a few hours, the program goes from 300MB to 2GB+ until the warning pops up and Windows starts limiting performance and throwing all new RAM onto disk caches. It seems like there's a memory leak somewhere in the program, and exiting the models doesn't reduce RAM like you would expect an application to.

Sometimes it grows and grows until there is no physical memory left and my computer crashes (only happened once).

Over time (weeks) it feels like it takes less working time in Fusion to reach the excessive 2GB of RAM usage. When I first downloaded the program, I could leave the program open for more than a day without issues, but now I hit 2GB+ after only 3-4 hours of work.

Any ideas?

For extra info, I am running an i5 4690S (3.6Ghz) with 8GB 1866Mhz RAM (Dual Channel), a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, and a GTX 750Ti with updated drivers, so it isn't a matter of hardware limitations (or, at least, I hope this isn't limited hardware for Fusion)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
chengyun.yang
in reply to: McSquizzy

Hi,

Would you please let us know what OS are you running Fusion on? And what is the typical workflow you do to get Fusion to go from 300 MB+ to 2 GB memory? 

It is a little surprising that you see this kind of warning message when Fusion uses 2GB memory but your have 8GB memory available for your system. 

And for your information, I found one post at Microsoft website which may be helpful for you:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/your-computer-is-low-on-memory-wh...

Thanks

Chengyun

Message 3 of 16
McSquizzy
in reply to: chengyun.yang

Yeah it is strange since Windows Task Manager isn't reporting zero physical
free memory. However, Resource Monitor has Physical, Standby, and Committed
showing as more than 2GB.

I am using Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I will check out the link and see what I can do to replicate the problem
tomorrow morning.

Usually it's working on low- to medium-complexity models and leaving Fusion
open for 3 or more hours
Message 4 of 16
chengyun.yang

Thanks for the info. One possible reason for this could be that there is a serious memory leak in the graphics card driver and this memory leak is not accounted in the Windows resource monitor. Would you please make sure you have upgraded your graphics card driver to the latst one? Please download the latest graphics card driver from this website:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team

Message 5 of 16
McSquizzy

I am on the latest NVidia driver. It is, however, a RAM usage issue on the motherboard, rather than the memory on the graphics card. 

Using the Microsoft link you provided, I modified the Page File settings, but no setting seemed to qwell the memory usage. 

A link to the album I wrote, which I hope will help illustrate my issue better:

http://imgur.com/a/mtdze

Message 6 of 16
chengyun.yang

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that you mentioned in your link page:

>>>

When the design was first opened (and stabilized about 30 seconds after opening), Standby usage was at 2701MB. After 1 hour of simply leaving the design open and untouched, the Standby usage has increased to 4350MB.

>>>

It is definitely indicating something wrong. We will look into it. 

The reason why we suspect it might be a GPU driver issue is if you look at the Microsoft link I pasted in my previous post, you can notice that this issue is also observed with other Game softwares. And one user reported that he didn't have this problem before he upgraded to use Windows 8.1. 

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team

Message 7 of 16
McSquizzy

Wow that's a fast reply!

I will try it out on a few other graphics cards to see if the issue is the
same.

Thank you for your help!
Message 8 of 16
McSquizzy

I realized I forgot to add the dialog box warning I get after letting Fusion open for a VERY long time (a day or two):

Message 9 of 16

BTW: If you read the Microsoft link below, you can see that this low memory issue seems to be pretty common to Windows 8.1 user, when using either Game softwares or just Internet explorer(or Chrome). There is a possiblity that it is a Windows 8.1 bug.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/your-computer-is-low-on-memory-wh...
Message 10 of 16
McSquizzy

Alright, thank you!

Windows 10 comes out in a few days, I'll reinstall and see what happens!

I will also try on Windows 7 and Mac OSX
Message 11 of 16
etfrench

I've reported the same type of issue earlier where closing drawings does not release memory.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
McSquizzy
in reply to: etfrench

Oops, sorry! I didn't mean to create a duplicate thread

Message 13 of 16
chengyun.yang

One quick question.

Did you run Fusion in full screen mode? If you did, according to the user comments from Microsoft page, not running in full screen mode might help with this issue.

Chengyun
Fusion Development Team
Message 14 of 16
McSquizzy

I usually run in Windowed mode, and only very rarely use Fullscreen mode
(maybe 2% of the time in Fusion)
Message 15 of 16
ruudNQHH6

I think i have the same problem, although i don't get to the point that i get an error message. But the other things are the same. This is my graphics info:

[GPU Information]
GPU Device: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
GPU RAM: 4096 MB
GPU Driver API: DirectX 11.0
GPU Driver Version: 1.8.233
GPU Driver Date: 05/18/2017

[Graphics Effects Settings]
Anti Aliasing: Off
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Object Shadow: Off
Ground Shadow: Off
Ground Reflection: Off
Selection Display Style: Simple
Transparency Effect: Better Performance

[Limit effects to optimize performance]
On

And i use windows 7, PC= i5-4460 3.2GHz, 8 GB ram.

I can't find a solution in this post, is there one?

Best regards,

Ruud

Message 16 of 16
dmitriy

On the new Macbook Pro 16" with the Radeon 5500 8gb card.

Fusion360 soaks up GPU memory and does not let go until restart.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report