Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Render and cloud render are different....

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
PhilProcarioJr
5539 Views, 48 Replies

Local Render and cloud render are different....

Ok this drives me nuts, why does the local renders look different then the cloud renders?

You can see the white dashed lines at the bottom corners...then the white highlights on the floor around the feet......

This needs to be fixed, it shouldn't make any difference other then time to render between local and cloud rendering.

It appears that the local render uses a polygon lower resolution mesh then the cloud uses..........You can actually see faceting at the rounded edges on the local render but not on the cloud render.......

Local:

Rostock V2.1 Assembly v9.png

Cloud render:

Rostock_V2.1_Assembly_2016-Jan-30_04-55-44PM-000_CustomizedView20847411.png

Issue:

IssueRostock V2.1 Assembly v9.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49

I've notice a difference in results between cloud and local render as well. Also with the white plastic that has SSS enabled (translucency).

Peter Doering
Message 3 of 49

Hi @PhilProcarioJr, I agree, they should be the same.  I'm going to have someone from the visualization team take a look.

Would you be willing to share the file?

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 4 of 49

Yes I will share it with one of the dev team members, just let me know their email addy.

You can even tell the shadows are very different....now given the fact that I was told this is a physicaly based render there should be no differences.

I would assume the only real difference there should be is my local render uses one cpu and the cloud render uses a bunch...given the results I'm starting to think this is not the case.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 5 of 49

Hi,

Would you please share your model with me? My email address is chengyun.yang@autodesk.com

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team

Message 6 of 49

Sent invite

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 7 of 49

Got it. Thanks!

We will look into it.

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team

Message 8 of 49

Here it shows how different the renders are....

Local:

Rostock V2.1 Assembly v19.png

Cloud:

Rostock_V2.1_Assembly_2016-Feb-02_03-13-07PM-000_CustomizedView39865821.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 9 of 49

Here you can clearly see that local renders use a lower resolution mesh, the holes appear poligonal and in the cloud renders they don't.

Local:

Rostock V2.1 Assembly v21.png

Cloud:

Rostock_V2.1_Assembly_2016-Feb-02_04-08-56PM-000_CustomizedView20795285.png

Local Hole:

Local Render Hole.jpg

Cloud Hole:

Cloud Render Hole.jpg

And you might be saying well just do cloud renders then.....well this is a major problem when I don't have internet access and I have deadlines for product renders....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 10 of 49

This is yet another reason I said in a past post that you are not exposing all the parameters to us...for the novice user that's fine, but if you want Fusion to be production ready then it needs to compete with the competition and its things like this that make community members vocal about it not being production ready. Pro users NEED more control...period. If this is a performance issue let me decide how long I want a local render to take. Don't do it for me because you don't know what I want. Give me a resolution control for the rendered mesh...a button for coarse, medium and fine, like you do for exporting stl files for rapid prototyping. And if this level of control is already available Please document it, because I looked everywhere I could find info on rendering and saw nothing on this. Fusion is a great piece of software don't hold it back because of the novice users, anyone getting into CAD has a long journey ahead of them that they either want to take or they don't. You can't kiddie proof a tree shredder. Smiley Wink

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 11 of 49

Could not agree more! Don't over simplify the UI and limit accessibility to advanced features.

Expose them to experienced users that know how to tame the beast.

Peter Doering
Message 12 of 49
fulcrumusa
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Exposing all the available options/commands/tools, etc. also has an educational value. I can't count the number of times where I've been missing around in Fusion (or any tool/software) and, while looking through the menus, though "Ooh, what does this command/option do?"

When facing a lack of documentation [I've read many posts where users are complaining about such a lack], expose all the options and let the users try them all. Don't underestimate how smart and savvy we are. We can figure stuff out!! 🙂

Message 13 of 49
chengyun.yang
in reply to: fulcrumusa

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedbacks. About the tessellation quality issue, it can be worked around but we do understand it is not obvious to the user how to do that. What you need to do is to zoom in on the problematic part(s) of the model while in GPU rendering mode and then enable ray tracing. Zooming in means a finer LOD is chosen and once that has been used in ray tracing it will still be used even if you zoom out again to see the whole model. The key here is zooming in before you enable ray tracing because we don’t allow any tessellation update to happen while ray tracing is enabled since that would lead to “stalls” when rebuilding the internal acceleration structures for ray tracing. I will bring this issue to our product design team to see if we can do some improvement soon. 

On the other hand, Fusion is going to release a new local rendering feature(Probably in March major release) where we will allow you to do the local rendering in the background, as a complementary/additional solution to the existing viewport and cloud rendering. When that is ready, there will be more options to control the rendering quality and performance. Please stay tuned. 

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team

Message 14 of 49

@chengyun.yang

Thank you for explaining how to fix the tessellation issue. Much appreciated.

Honestly, that's a bad way to handle it, just give us a slider or a button please.

This is another piece of information that should be in the documentation because it will be lost on the forums in a week or so.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 15 of 49

Why are the cloud renderings so grainy? I have set everything as high as I can find in the settings yet the quality is still poor. Look at the nylon nuts.

Rostock_V2.1_Assembly_2016-Feb-06_02-52-42PM-000_CustomizedView42000521.png

Grainy.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 16 of 49

It's the SSS component (Translucency) in the Nylon material that takes much longer to resolve than the rest of the obaque materials in the scene. I believe that is a trait that all PBR share.

The best way to counteract this I've come across is selective/region rendering that would allow a user to comtinue rendering only a specific area of the image, the nylon bolts in this case.

Peter Doering
Message 17 of 49

I don't have this problem with local renders only cloud renders and you don't control how long the cloud renders iterate only local renders.

I would do a local render of this but the render of SSS materials is all wrong and looks terrible.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 18 of 49

@chengyun.yang

Also I noticed the tessellation issue / fix doesn't work on large assemblies. I can zoom in on a problem area but then another area is to far away and if that area is in the shot then it looks bad.

more comparisons between local and cloud.

Local Render-Lighting and material is terrible, also if you look at the bottom right corner there is the tessellation isue, even though I was zoomed way in on it before turning on raytracing:

Rostock V2.1 Assembly v35.png

Cloud Render-The lighting and material look just like the real thing....the graininess is killing me.:

Rostock_V2.1_Assembly_2016-Feb-06_03-48-34PM-000_CustomizedView9871539.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 19 of 49

@chengyun.yang

Here I zoom as far in on the bottom plate, then turned on ray tracing and as you can see on the bottom left corner of the plate it still shows the tessellation issue. Have you guys gotten the chance to look into this issue? It's harder to see on this render but when I render it larger resolutions it very clear.

Rostock V2.1a Assembly v7.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 20 of 49

Here you can clearly see it, I zoomed all the way in on the plate then turned on ray tracing and zoomed out and let it render for 1000 iterations.

Rostock V2.1a Assembly v12.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report