Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

latest update - can no longer create joint origin at component origin?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
worknstuff
533 Views, 6 Replies

latest update - can no longer create joint origin at component origin?

worknstuff_0-1600208687626.png

version 2.0.8950

it seems I can no longer create and save a joint origin referencing component origin?

all my joints are based on this method as it does not break when any of the geometry changes.

worknstuff_1-1600208731843.png

i have also moved to a process where I have abstracted the joint origins to a seperate component; this allows to swap out parts in an assembly without breaking the joints to the "swapped out part", because they now reference the component containing only joint origins, which is constant, regardless of what components change.

ACTIONS TAKEN:

• restarted fusion
  • restarted PC
  • full reinstall fusion
  • tried on different existing component where has previously worked
  • created a point between 3 planes

And even though I have fusion on another computer, i can't block the update, because I have found i need to restart fusion regularly to force updated designs to upload so I can run multiple instances of fusion on multiple screens...

Bit stuck right now, fusion work is a major part of my day... there really should be an option to run one version behind the latest... don't mind being a beta tester, so long as I can switch back to the "stable release" to do what I pay for and am paid for...

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
worknstuff
in reply to: worknstuff

ok, so have created a sketch with a sketch point at component origin and can place joint origin...

(component origin visibility must be off, otherwise snaps to component origin, which ironically, it can't use)

((point through 3 planes also works when component origin visibility is off))

worknstuff_0-1600212381188.png

still, a bit of a wakeup as to rogue updates. I'll going to look on the other PC on the weekend as to how block permissions or processes the fusion update process uses and report back...

Message 3 of 7
worknstuff

*this assumes advance IT knowledge & standard backup precautions are taken

*this is for emergencies only - you may never get fusion working on your computer again.

installer runs from:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\meta

take ownership of the "meta" folder and all subfolders with your user

remove all inheritances and users

add your user read only

updates and fusion installer now blocked.

set your user/install user to have full permissions for normal behaviour to revert

other things can be done (process lasso, netlimiter, etc), but that does it for me for now.

Message 4 of 7
jeff_strater

I can create a Joint Origin at the component origin.  Either the root component:

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.04.59 PM.png

Or at the origin of a sub-component:

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.05.44 PM.png

Can you post a video of what you are doing that is different?  I start off with an empty design, and I can create a Joint Origin at the root component origin, or create a component, and create a Joint Origin at that component's origin.  Are you doing something different?

Thanks.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 7
worknstuff
in reply to: jeff_strater

i just found it works - if you click in the design space after selecting the origin.

the old behaviour did not require this additional click into the design space.

the same thing applies when joining component origins.

Message 6 of 7
bharamk

@workstuff 

Thanks for posting this issue.

This is known issue and it's been getting tracked internally with FUS-71196.

Easy workaround is that after selection of origin in the dialog simply just click once in the workspace and OK button will enabled. 

Regards,

Thanks & Regards,

Ketan Bharamgunde

Autodesk, Inc.

www.autodesk.com

Thanks & Regards,
Ketan Bharamgunde
Sr.SW Eng.Test

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 7
worknstuff
in reply to: bharamk

@bharamk @jeff_strater 

fusion has really gone up a level with edit in place... maybe one day joint origins and primitives (coils for springs) will join the fun šŸ™‚

fyi, here is where I am at with my fusion journey:

• universal parameters - multi level derives
  • geometry free joints - dedicated joint geometry components
  • geometry free projections - dedicated sketch components for multi level projections - assembly contexts behave unpredictably after you get a few in a row (don't use them)
  • bommer - component list from multi level assemblies
  • PC free materials - dedicated custom material assembly (add materials in this design to favourites when I switch PCs)
  • retain ability to rollback update - will finish workaround this weekend
  • local quasi static solver - contractor with abaqus

overall, it is a fast and intuitive platform to model in, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report