Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send a 3D print to Simplify 3D printing utility

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Old_Raft
6095 Views, 6 Replies

How to send a 3D print to Simplify 3D printing utility

I just created a simply 3D object and need to get it to my newly built E3D BigBox which is not as yet networked.

I assumed I have to send it to Simplify 3D (part of my printer package) to convert to gcode, and then I need to copy that file to the memory card of the printer.

I'm selecting Make/3D print and get a list of print utilities.  Can I add Simplify 3D to this list, if not how do I get from Fusion 360 to a file to input in the Simplify 3D  (please)

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wilkhui
in reply to: Old_Raft

Hi Old_Raft,

I'm not sure about adding Simplify 3D as a utility (if anyone knows about that please chime in) but you can export bodies as STL so that the printer software can deal with them.

Right click on the body you want to export and choose the 'Save As STL' option:

save-stl.PNG

Hope this helps,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
schneik-adsk
in reply to: Old_Raft

Simply choose custom in the make/3D print tool. Then browse to the simplify3d exe/app.

I use simplify3d and this works great. It is also nice because you can send multiple parts by just repeating the 3D print command. If simplify 3D is open the parts collect on the same build platform making it easy to build a multiple part job.
Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 7
seanMWQH9
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi, I'm using Simplify3d with Fusion360, and it works great, except every time I hit 3D print it opens a new Simplify3D window.  Is there a way of stopping that?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Sean

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi!

I have exactly same problem as the previous poster, every time I use the Make/3D Print command, a new instance of Simplify3D opens.

Please can you (or anybody) explain how you fixed that as for you it obviously works as I would want? 🙂

Thank you !

Antti

Message 6 of 7
seanMWQH9
in reply to: Anonymous

I found the solution;
Send one model to Simplify3D, manipulate it. Then close Simplify3D (that’s the trick)
Send another model, and it is added to the build space.
Repeat as many times as required 🙂

Sean.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: seanMWQH9

Thank you Sean, I noticed that too but still S3D opens every time so you need to close it between sends and that is weird.

What I'd want is that if S3D is already open, Fusion activates it and send the new model to same session...

But another problem is that the objects appear totally wrong in S3D. I use Y-up in Fusion (and all other 3D software

as usual) and even with the S3D Tools/Options/Models settings I can't get it to rotate it correctly. For 3D printing Z-up

is logical but otherwise not. Of course Sketch would be X/Y and 3D XYZ yes but it is still 'wrong' 🙂

Does anyone know what are the correct rotations needed to get Y-up -> Z-up? First it seems it's X -90 but it does not give

the correct result.

Anyone has done Python scripting with Fusion? Could this be done with that? I know Python but haven't checked

Fusion Python yet (just started Fusion few days ago) so could someone with experience tell me if the Python API is

any good in Fusion in general and for this? 🙂

Thank you!

Antti

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report