Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Design Snap On Lid

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ignipotens
4342 Views, 13 Replies

How to Design Snap On Lid

Hello,

New to Fusion 360 and CAD in general. I am working on a project and need to make a lid. The lid needs to snap on and go over the part not inside the part like many of the videos I can find show.

Here is an example of a design that has an indent on the outside for the lid to snap on.

smallworld-----race-tray4---v4

The lid then has the same design on the inside so it snaps on snugly and stays on. What is the easiest way to go about designing this in Fusion 360?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I would start with a sketched Rectangle and then Extrude.

Have you gone through the Tutorials?

If so, can you File >Export and then Attach the *.f3d file of your initial attempt here?

Message 3 of 14

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

I would start with a sketched Rectangle and then Extrude.

Have you gone through the Tutorials?

If so, can you File >Export and then Attach the *.f3d file of your initial attempt here?

Yep, I have watched two courses in the learning section.

Attached is what I have so far. It is just a basic lid. 

Message 4 of 14

I would have started with the center of the rectangle in Sketch1 (Tray Base Sketch) located at the Origin Center Point.

Note that when sketch geometry is fully defined that it turns color.

Message 5 of 14

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

I would have started with the center of the rectangle in Sketch1 (Tray Base Sketch) located at the Origin Center Point.

Note that when sketch geometry is fully defined that it turns color.

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any suggestions on how to make the outside feature in the initial image?

Message 6 of 14
etfrench
in reply to: ignipotens

This may be of some use.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
ignipotens
in reply to: etfrench

@etfrench wrote:

This may be of some use.

Thanks! I gave it a quick read and it looks like the guide is more focused on thicker plastic designs. I am designing a thin (1mm) tray and cover.

I can give it a more in-depth read later to make sure I didn't look over anything.

Message 8 of 14
chrisplyler
in reply to: ignipotens

Message 9 of 14
ignipotens
in reply to: chrisplyler

@chrisplyler wrote:

Wow! Awesome response video. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you! I'll clean everything up too to make separate components.

Message 10 of 14
Bill5FX9R
in reply to: chrisplyler

Chris - Excellent video!  I'm new and this was very nice.  I'd like to do a similar lid for a round container.  Do you have another video that shows this?

Regards,

-Bill

Message 11 of 14
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Bill5FX9R

@Bill5FX9R 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file of your attempt to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 12 of 14
Bill5FX9R
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you for your response.  I've attached the files I worked with.  I eventually created an offset plane, extruded another circle and shelled both sides to an approximate size.  Used the fillet on top and bottom and ended up with a workable piece.

But after watching the video I'm sure my approach is not very 'elegant' and am just trying to educate myself a bit. 

Regards,

-B

Message 13 of 14
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Bill5FX9R

@Bill5FX9R 

See Attached for an alternative solution.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1694343386033.png

Message 14 of 14
Bill5FX9R
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you.

-B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report