Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy and paste a sketch

93 REPLIES 93
SOLVED
Message 1 of 94
DhimDoes
189316 Views, 93 Replies

How to copy and paste a sketch

Hey there, I am very new to Fusion 360 and still trying to find my way around. This one has really got me scratching my head. How do you copy a basic 2D sketch? I am selecting the shape, let's say a center point circle, using CTRL + C and then CTRL + V. Nothing happens. If I right click on the circle it gives me the option to redo paste, but it does not create a 2nd shape. 

How can I achieve this? In the more basic offering of 123D, when I hit copy and paste, even with a 2D sketch, it pops up the new shape and provides the move tool. 

93 REPLIES 93
Message 2 of 94
Phil.E
in reply to: DhimDoes

In a history free model, this is possible. You can copy and paste an entire sketch.

In a parametric model, the sketch must reside inside a component. Copy the component to copy the sketch.

In either case, if you are editing a sketch, you can copy and paste lines, arcs, circles inside that sketch.

Thanks!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 94
DhimDoes
in reply to: Phil.E

Thank you. The key part of your response was that I needed to be in the edit sketch mode in order to copy and paste. Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to provide closure.

Message 4 of 94
wijnen.e
in reply to: DhimDoes

I have this problem at the moment: I want to copy a few lines from sketch 1 to a new sketch (2) on a different plane .... Is this possible?

Message 5 of 94
HughesTooling
in reply to: wijnen.e

If both sketches are in the same document you should be able to edit sketch1 select all, right click and copy. The open sketch2 right click and paste. If the sketches are in different documents see this thread.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 94
Anonymous

I am experiencing this problem as well, within the same sketch in the same document - the Copy command shows up upon Right-clicking after selecting the desired components, but I do not see any indication of where the "Paste" command lives. Ctrl-V (standard Paste shortcut on Windows) does nothing. Please this is essential behavior! for creating identical profiles easily for lofting

Tags (2)
Message 7 of 94
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Fusion 360 community forum!

Perhaps this video will help. I think you may be trying to paste while you are not editing a sketch. This will fail because Fusion doesn't know if you want a new sketch, or if you wish to paste inside the same sketch, or another existing sketch. So to paste you should either create, or edit, a sketch you wish to receive the pasted information.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 94
solanoone

Thank you for the video. It helped. I am noticing fusion 360 requires a lot more steps than the cad software I'm used too. My cheap Viacad is much simpler to use.

Message 9 of 94
Anonymous

I simply don't get this.

Isn't there just a simple key command ?

I'am sorry but i don't understand what you mean and I'am kinda loosing my mind here trying to copy a simple square.

Message 10 of 94
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous if you watch phil's vid it show what you have to do. to past you need to have a active sketch.

active sketch is like this

active sketch.png

inactive sketch looks like this

inactive sketch.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 11 of 94
Phil.E
in reply to: daniel_lyall

@daniel_lyall thanks.

For everyone else: I'm going to list some steps in case videos are not your thing.

When you are trying to copy a sketch object you should be editing that sketch.

When you are trying to paste the object, you should be editing the sketch that you wish to paste it into.

You know you are editing a sketch when a command called Stop Sketch is on the right end of the toolbar.

stop_sketch.png 

Steps:

1. While editing a sketch, window select the entire object, a rectangle in this example.

2. Right click and pick Copy. Or use standard win/mac shortcuts, CRTL+C (windows), or command+C (mac).

3. To paste into the same sketch, or another, ensure that the destination sketch is being edited.

4. Right click and pick Paste, or CTRL+V (windows), or command+V (mac).

When your pasted sketch objects appear, you get a chance to move them.

paste_move.png

I hope this helps!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 94
HughesTooling

@Phil.E wrote:

@daniel_lyall thanks.

When you are trying to copy a sketch object you should be editing that sketch.

@Phil.E your first statement is not correct, you can copy from a none active sketch you can even copy from several none active sketches at the same time!

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 94
Phil.E
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out, but I don't like the results when that happens*. So my advice says "should". 🙂 YMMV.

*In this case, sketches that are on different planes are pasted into one sketch on one plane. I can't think of a good use for this, and I find it confusing. It's not good advice for someone struggling with copy+paste, IMO. 

pasted_and_flattened.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 94
HughesTooling

Sorry I didn't really explain totally what I was thinking about, part of the reason was to be careful because even if you are in an active sketch you can select from a non active sketch so be careful if more than one sketch is visible.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 15 of 94
smallfavor

I can't manage this.  I don't think it should be this difficult.  If one copies a sketch then it seems the info placed on the clip board should include enough info so the program will recognize the object and simply paste it.   In the vid attached I've gone into the sketch mode, copied the sketch I want and then into another document that's in the sketch mode and STILL there's no paste.  Furthermore, there's no such option available with the right click so one much use the keyboard combos.

Message 16 of 94
Phil.E
in reply to: smallfavor

Did you pick a place to paste? Fusion needs a destination plane. It's exactly like starting a sketch. When you start a sketch, Fusion makes you pick a place to sketch. When you paste a sketch, Fusion makes you pick a place to paste. There must always be a planar reference selected for adding sketch information.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 94
dgaucher

This function is very maddening. I have a very simple design. I have tried about 20 times to copy a simple sketch from a design to a new design with absolutely no results. Even if both design are in edit mode.

Message 18 of 94
Phil.E
in reply to: dgaucher

There are a couple workflows to get it done. Normally I don't just paste links as an answer, but this has been covered in detail by customers. So please check these out and let us know if you still have problems with it.

There is a video provided here, it shows a couple bugs, but should help. Start watching at precisely the 1:15 mark. ht @HughesTooling

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/bug-coping-sketch-between-documents/m-p/6978...

Here is another video, thanks again @HughesTooling

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/post-your-tips-and-tutorials/copy-sketch-between-documents/td-p/59548...

And we can thank @cloudbase9 for this tip

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/post-your-tips-and-tutorials/reliable-way-to-copy-and-paste-sketches-...

Regards,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 94
moth3r

If users struggle with something that basic like copy, paste of sketches this should be flagged as a problem. I really don't know on what behavioral model Fusion 360 UI is developed if we have search for solution because people cannot figure something that basic on its own.

Message 20 of 94
cparsons
in reply to: moth3r

I have to agree that when an operation this basic takes so much explaining, it is time to rethink the way that operation works and redesign it. I have been considering this program for inclusion into how I teach introductory 3D printing and modelling to university level art students. Based on the fact that the 123D series was so accessible and in many aspects those programs were somewhat intuitive, I had hoped that Fusion 360 -- as the recommended place to migrate now that most of those very popular programs were discontinued -- would be sufficiently easy to use that it would be a good choice. So far based on my experience in learning the program I give it a big thumbs down. It is as if the Fusion 360 design team were given the task of adding extra steps and avoiding ways of performing this task (cut and paste) that users would already be familiar with. Fusion 360 looks great, is enticing since it is free for many users, and clearly can be used to do good work, but it could be a LOT easier to use. I don't think I'll be recommending this for classes anytime soon. Very disappointing program.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report