Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export a model from Fusion 360 to SOLIDWORKS 2017

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
79927 Views, 9 Replies

Export a model from Fusion 360 to SOLIDWORKS 2017

Hello, 

In a nutshell, is there a way to open and edit Fusion models in the Solidworks interface? I have seen it in the reverse (opening Solidworks drawings in the Fusion interface).

Reason being, I own a CAD Business, and a client that I potentially will have can only use Solidworks and no other software, and I can't download Solidworks on my Mac due to incompatibility. 

Thank you!

- Nick Dubravec

CAD 247

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
lucasliraAU
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous

In this situation you must export your Fusion 360 file in STEP format.

In the second phase, you can turn to ONSHAPE and it will be your Solidworks read-only conversion feature.

solid fusion.JPG

I believe these steps can help you in your work, good luck!

Did you find this answer helpful? If so, please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. Smiley Happy

Lucas Lira - Fusion 360 Technologies, Design and Applications - Autodesk Hub Diamond

Direct contact at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucaslirasantos/
VEX Robotics Engineering in Brazil - https://www.vexforum.com/u/lucas_lira/summary

Main Researcher and Technology Applications in Nerd Factory - https://www.fabricadenerdes.com/
Message 3 of 10
TrippyLighting

Export as STEP from Fusion 360. 

Solid Works can the STEP format directly, there is no need for another form of conversion.

Of course your client will only receive "dumb" geometry. The STEP data will not contain a design history, no sketches, no construction geometry. Just solids an surfaces.

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: lucasliraAU

Hi again,

Will my client need Fusion software on their computers to do this? I will be emailing the model to them as an attachment; also, I have a Mac, so I can't get SOLIDWORKS on my computer.

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

STEP is a neutral format that can be used in nearly any CAD program. 

Did you do the design correctly, or will the SolidWorks user have to correct your work?

Any competent SolidWorks user should be able to edit for corrections unless you used Loft or Freeform. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 10
schneik-adsk

No. They do not need Fusion360. Why email the file? Why not just send them a link to a Public Share. So long as you enable downloads they can download the file as Step directly from the share.

for example this is a share of part of my 3D printer project. http://a360.co/2Fwlajz In the upper right you can download in many different formats. this lets consumers of your file choose whats best for the cad tool they use.

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I converted the file Fusion 360 file to ".stp , .step" and it worked.

Open your part or asembly in Fusion 360

Under File -> Export 

Select " Name" for the part

Select "STEM (*stp,*step)" under "Type:" option. 

Select "Location:" where you want to save the file

After the file is converted open SolidWorks under "File" click on "Open"

It will open up the box to select the part to open.

To the right of"File Name:" there is a dropdown , Select "All Files" option from the dropdown. 

Ofcourse the file you want to open and voila.

It worked flawless for me atleast.

Message 8 of 10
AdolfoCotaF
in reply to: lucasliraAU

Excellent Idea! Congrats and thanks for  show us

Message 9 of 10
jrjhenderson

When exporting a file from Fusion for Solidworks. Is there a way the make the file FULLY editable for the soildworks user. Can the design history/feature tree with all the sketches etc be imported too? 

And visa versa too..

Appreciate your help.

Jordan  

Message 10 of 10

No, hat isn't possible.

The timeline has no direct equivalent in SW would be one reason.

I am not aware of any CAD software that can read another CAD software's native format including sketches, features, feature tree etc.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report